Java14.0.2 is known to have issues with Minecraft.

SBPomeroy26

Question

If I have this in the wrong place (ie it is a launcher issue) please note that I did search and saw this question in the launcher section but it was locked due to not being a launcher issue.

I have installed the launcher and installed Hexxit. When I click on the Play Button in the launcher a message box comes up with this:

Unsupported Java Version

You've selected Java 14.0.2, which is known to have issues with Minecraft. Are you sure you want to Continue?

No.     Yes.

Assuming my Java needed updating, I went ahead and updated my java (Recommended Version 8 Update 271 per https://www.java.com/en/download/) and even restarted the MAC. However,  both ways I get that message and if i indicate to continue, a window opens and remains white and nothing seems to be happening.  

I am new to MAC so please bear with me in resolving this.

Any suggestions?

8 answers to this question

You'll have to actually remove java 14 and 8u271, and use 8u251 instead.

Link to 8u251: https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/GetFile/1.8.0_251-b08/3d5a2bb8f8d4428bbe94aed7ec7ae784/unix-i586/jdk-8u251-macosx-x64.dmg

How to remove java 14:

Forge and Minecraft do not support Java 9+.

Follow either the manual or script instructions to remove it and replace with Java 8: Script

1. Close the Technic Launcher. It cannot be running!

2. Download this file: https://download.uskarian.net/scripts/mac-delete-java9.command

3. Open terminal

4. Copy and paste:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/mac-delete-java9.command

5. Copy and paste:

sudo ~/Downloads/mac-delete-java9.command

If it asks you for your password then type in your password.  You will not see text being entered as your type, but it is being entered! Once you've typed your password hit enter on your keyboard.

6. Download Java SE Development Kit 8u251 from https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/GetFile/1.8.0_251-b08/3d5a2bb8f8d4428bbe94aed7ec7ae784/unix-i586/jdk-8u251-macosx-x64.dmg

7. Install the jdk-8u251-macosx-x64.dmg you just downloaded.

OR Manual

1. Close the Technic Launcher. It cannot be running!

2. Open terminal

3. Copy and paste:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-{9,10,11,12,13,14}*.jdk/

If it asks you for your password then type in your password.  You will not see your password being entered as your type, but it is being entered! Once you've finished typing your password hit enter on your keyboard.

4. Copy and paste:

sudo rm -rf Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

5. Copy and paste:

sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

6. Download Java SE Development Kit 8u251 from https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/GetFile/1.8.0_251-b08/3d5a2bb8f8d4428bbe94aed7ec7ae784/unix-i586/jdk-8u251-macosx-x64.dmg

7. Install the jdk-8u251-macosx-x64.dmg you just downloaded.

Yes, I'm aware these instructions do not look visually pleasing, but they have been copied from the Technic Discord server.

Edited by JaariAtmc

On 11/14/2020 at 9:58 AM, JaariAtmc said:

Link to 8u251: https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/GetFile/1.8.0_251-b08/3d5a2bb8f8d4428bbe94aed7ec7ae784/unix-i586/jdk-8u251-macosx-x64.dmg

How to remove java 14:

Yes, I'm aware these instructions do not look visually pleasing, but they have been copied from the Technic Discord server.

Thank you. I had tried to install the 251 java but my mistake may have been not removing the old version.  So now I have followed the directions provided above (even using Java's tool to confirm I have Java Runtime Environment Version 1.8.251.08 currently installed - it is their uninstall tool).  Please note, I did not use this tool to delete Java; I followed the directions.  However, I am having problems still getting same message (why I checked to see what version I was running).  So I noted that you said I need to :

"actually remove java 14 and 8u271"

Is this a two step process to 1 remove 8u271 and then 2 remove java 14? Is that why it still says i am running version 14.0.2 when I try to launch?

I went through the steps 2 times and will continue to play with it but any assistance is very much appreciated!!

Thank you for the help thusfar!

1 hour ago, SBPomeroy26 said:

Thank you. I had tried to install the 251 java but my mistake may have been not removing the old version.  So now I have followed the directions provided above (even using Java's tool to confirm I have Java Runtime Environment Version 1.8.251.08 currently installed - it is their uninstall tool).  Please note, I did not use this tool to delete Java; I followed the directions.  However, I am having problems still getting same message (why I checked to see what version I was running).  So I noted that you said I need to :

"actually remove java 14 and 8u271"

Is this a two step process to 1 remove 8u271 and then 2 remove java 14? Is that why it still says i am running version 14.0.2 when I try to launch?

I went through the steps 2 times and will continue to play with it but any assistance is very much appreciated!!

Thank you for the help thusfar!

I have even confirmed that there was NO java on my computer then installed 8u251 and I still get the same error message showing version 14.0.2

I am at a loss

Susan

On 11/14/2020 at 9:58 AM, JaariAtmc said:

How to remove java 14:

I have continued to try and do this without luck.

Out of frustration, I uninstalled 8u271 and then attempted to use the launcher to run Hexxit and I STILL get the error message that 14.0.2 Java has known issues..

I am at a COMPLETE loss.

Please help!

-Susan

2 hours ago, JaariAtmc said:

Type the following in a Terminal window:

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version

Okay.

Here is what came back:

java version "1.8.0_251"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)

5 hours ago, SBPomeroy26 said:

Okay.

Here is what came back:

java version "1.8.0_251"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)

Open the launcher, press yes on the popup. Go to Launcher options -> Java Settings. Choose 8u251 from the list.

3 hours ago, JaariAtmc said:

Open the launcher, press yes on the popup. Go to Launcher options -> Java Settings. Choose 8u251 from the list.

OMG thank you so much!! I cannot believe it was that simple!!

The game loaded and I created a new world successfully.  I super appreciate it! (My exact words were OMG I Love you! but I do not want to freak anyone out! 😛)

-S