Failed to authenticate with XBox for Minecraft

Cosmology27

Question

I have three official Minecraft accounts (me and my two kiddos). I just started up Technic to run our modpack we've made, and the one computer did it just fine, but the other two are giving me this error. I've tried logging into Microsoft for both computers, and that works totally fine. When I open the Technic launcher, it asks me to add a Microsoft account. When I click that, it opens up a webpage in Chrome, asking me to login to Microsoft. I do that, then it says it did it correctly and I can close that page. I go back to the launcher, and it says "Failed to authenticate with XBox for Minecraft".

I honestly hate how Microsoft does everything. I've never had a program that was so difficult just to start up. It seems every other time me and the kids want to play something like this happens. Usually I can fix it myself, but this time nothing is working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried using the regular Minecraft launcher for my own account. It said it was unable to verifying the products I own, and to check my internet connection... My internet is just fine. So I tried logging out and back in, and that didn't help. It's now telling me, using my own account, that I need to purchase Minecraft, even though I already own it with the account that is logged in.

Edited by Cosmology27
Update to what's happening

5 answers to this question

I'm having the same issue. I have not found the solution to it.

Alright, so after going on this discord, I found the solution that worked. Keep spamming login to Microsoft account. Or set your default browser to Firefox and it will authenticate through the Firefox window and work. Spamming the login button worked for me. Hope this helps!

On 12/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, Cosmology27 said:

I have three official Minecraft accounts (me and my two kiddos). I just started up Technic to run our modpack we've made, and the one computer did it just fine, but the other two are giving me this error. I've tried logging into Microsoft for both computers, and that works totally fine. When I open the Technic launcher, it asks me to add a Microsoft account. When I click that, it opens up a webpage in Chrome, asking me to login to Microsoft. I do that, then it says it did it correctly and I can close that page. I go back to the launcher, and it says "Failed to authenticate with XBox for Minecraft".

I honestly hate how Microsoft does everything. I've never had a program that was so difficult just to start up. It seems every other time me and the kids want to play something like this happens. Usually I can fix it myself, but this time nothing is working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried using the regular Minecraft launcher for my own account. It said it was unable to verifying the products I own, and to check my internet connection... My internet is just fine. So I tried logging out and back in, and that didn't help. It's now telling me, using my own account, that I need to purchase Minecraft, even though I already own it with the account that is logged in.

I’m new to these forums, I’m having the same issue since today, any updates ?

10 hours ago, mattm0n2 said:

I'm having the same issue. I have not found the solution to it.

Alright, so after going on this discord, I found the solution that worked. Keep spamming login to Microsoft account. Or set your default browser to Firefox and it will authenticate through the Firefox window and work. Spamming the login button worked for me. Hope this helps!

any updates?

I managed to actually play with all three accounts today. At first they all said the same thing about failing to authenticate. However, I clicked the login thing, and it actually worked this time! However however, the one needed me to click the login button a second time. 

In research I saw something where it was literally the idiots at Microsoft dropping the ball in some way, so it was actually just bad timing for trying to start playing right when Microsoft was messing with some stuff. It could be at one time it will work, and another it won't, due to no fault of your own. I'm not sure on this, but it's one answer I found. From my personal experience, this makes sense. It is also par for the course for the morons working for this garbage company. They have so much money and such a monopoly that they think they don't need to try, and they end up doing a terrible job, especially when it comes to coding. Hopefully they fix it, and leave it alone, but I won't hold my breath.

2 hours ago, Cosmology27 said:

I managed to actually play with all three accounts today. At first they all said the same thing about failing to authenticate. However, I clicked the login thing, and it actually worked this time! However however, the one needed me to click the login button a second time. 

In research I saw something where it was literally the idiots at Microsoft dropping the ball in some way, so it was actually just bad timing for trying to start playing right when Microsoft was messing with some stuff. It could be at one time it will work, and another it won't, due to no fault of your own. I'm not sure on this, but it's one answer I found. From my personal experience, this makes sense. It is also par for the course for the morons working for this garbage company. They have so much money and such a monopoly that they think they don't need to try, and they end up doing a terrible job, especially when it comes to coding. Hopefully they fix it, and leave it alone, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah it doesn’t surprise me, I got the launcher up but not everything is offline and I’m not too sure how to go about fixing it. Have you had this issue as well?

So what I have found is this. Log out on the regular launcher, then sign back in. For whatever reason Microsoft just absolutely sucks at account management. I use modpack launchers, and for some reason this helps my modpack launcher be able to sign in correctly as well. I have NO idea why all of it breaks, or why this fixes it, but it's been working for me.