Should I macerate all ores?

BelowZero

Just a quick question:

Would it be wise for me to setup a simple auto-maceration system to macerate everything I can, or is there some reason to hold some ore back and not macerate it?

Thanks in advance.

edit: I was thinking of ores when I wrote this. I know that I wouldn't want to auto-macerate all cobblestone, for example.

It would be wise for getting your numbers up.

With factorization, you can now make slag that is melted in a slag furnace. It requires more steps (grinding/washing/furnace I think it was). This method will give about 3x the ingot-output instead of 2x with macerator.

Thanks for pointing out the factorization stuff, I'll look into that.

edit: Holy, that is quite the process and automating it would require some real effort. Since I have no factorization infrastructure set up I think this may be something to put off for now.

There are a few things to consider. Keeping the materials in ore form takes up less space than ingots. You should have a fast auto macerating system to turn ore into ingots. However, almost all metal can be stored as blocks which is better than keeping it in ore form. A few items do actually need the ore version of metals though. The sorting system needs the ore placed in the diamond pipe, filter, or sorting machine depending on what you are using. The soul crucible requires iron ore to make dark nuggets for the vile sword.

So pretty much yes, you do want to process all your materials. It also makes me happy to see a chest full of metal blocks. :)

PS. Remember to use fortune on those diamonds, redstone, coal, lapiz, redpower gems, thaumcraft crystals, and xycraft ore.

Yeah, only melt the metal you need at once until you have a base, the cobblestone furnace can always be left behind. When you have a base, get a macerator going. But don't go crazy unless you plan on not going factorization. And don't melt all ores in case you want to set up some automated system where you need some ores for the filters and such.

I have not tried it yet. buy kinda look foreward to creating an automated system that makes the most out of my presssssiussssss metals.

BTW: Seems like with the minion stone, you should convert blocks rather than ingots - as the stone has a limited lifespan.