Need a complete Idiots guide to creating a Tekkit Lite server.

Prototype9179

I recently built a relatively powerful gaming computer, and enjoyed playing Tekkit Lite multiplayer on it so much that I figured "Hey, why not host my own server?"

So last night I downloaded the sever files, bukkit, permissionsex, worldedit and forgeessentials thinking "hey what could go wrong?" At around 11:00 last night I began searching for a users guide to the list of pluggins I had downloaded, only to be rewarded with a long list of search results that made little or no sense. I decided to focus on permissionsex, and proceeded to follow their online guide step by complicated step. In the end, I emerged with a system that didnt work, groups that didnt exist and I became even more confused then before. I deiced at that point to call it a night, and after deleting my 3 hours of failed work and redownloading the server file, I went to bed dreaming of a fully operational server. I'm now fully awake and fully aware of last night's failure. So I decided to come to the center of tekkit know-how, the forums, where I hope to regain some hope of ever creating a fully operational server.

At this point I understand that I have very little programming ability, but I do have the ability to type. What I'm asking for is a Complete Idiot's Guide to creating a Tekkit Lite server, that functions well, and has well developed permissions.

Thanks

First of all, you won't be needing Bukkit for anything in particular, neither ForgeEssentials whilst running MCPC+.

Get the Lite server files from here.

Download MCPC+ from here (gives CraftBukkit(++)) functionality, allowing you to add plugins.

Boot it up using the .bat file and let it generate files.

Get plugins from dev.bukkit.org/plugins.bukkit.org and extract/move .jar, files into the newly generated plugins folder.

Restart server each time you're adding a new plugin to ensure compability (or add them in batches) using /save-all followed by a /stop.

Closing with the X might get your files corrupted.

Let plugins generate configurations this way.

Open up configurations using something else rather than Notepad, Notepad++ is extremely convenient for these matters.

Never, ever, ever use tab in a plugin configuration file.

Hit me up when you've gotten to permissions.

First, I wanted to thank you, lulz, for responding . I was becoming a little disheartened yesterday.

So, per your directions, I redownloaded the tekkit files, and created the necessary files by running the launch.bat file. I then downloaded the MCPC+ file and installed it using the instructions I found here, although when the process was over I deleted the second launch.bat file. Im not sure if this is the correct way to do it. It did generate the new files, but was I supposed to merge the server launcher with this new launcher that I created?

I also downloaded notepad++, and am able to open all notepad files with it.

Thanks

You're welcome!

Well it doesn't really matter, both .bat files contain simple lines of text allowing you to start your server,

the MCPC+ way allocates 1GB of your ram to the server while the other allocates 2 if I'm not speaking completely out of my ass.

Both scripts work, as you've probably noticed. :)

EDIT: If you're referring to the extracted TekkitLite.jar file when you're saying launcher - then yes, the MCPC+ .jar must replace the TekkitLite.jar.

Ok, so I have gone and booted up the server, replacing the original TekkitLite.jar file with the new one I downloaded from MCPC+, and using the original launch.bat file to start the server. However, when I do this, the server doesn't allow me to join, error: patience, "my young padawan! Bukkitforge is still loading." Ive tried waiting, but the same error pops up every time. I think it may have something to do with the server lines that read: "[TreeCapitator] Block id <various id like forestry.log2 or forestry.leaves> could not be parsed as an integer. Ignoring entry." There are several dozen of these lines followed by [Warning] lines.

Any ideas?

Thanks

TreeCapitator tends to do that, you can remove it by removing the TreeCapitator .jar file from the coremods folder (all it does is allowing you to chop down a whole tree by removing the bottom block, awfully laggy on huge rubber trees).

Regardless, give your server a few minutes to boot up - if it still thinks it's Yoda, do following;

Edit your .bat file again, replace what most likely says "-ms512M -mx1G -jar server.jar" with "-ms512M -mx2G -jar server.jar" which'll increase the amount of memory allocated.

With a "relatively powerful gaming computer" it shouldn't be a problem increasing it to two GB.

Ok, took your advice, deleted the TreeCapitator.jar file, and tried to increase ram usage, however my Launch.bat file simply says: "java -Xmx3G -Xms2G -jar TekkitLite.jar nogui

pause", so I didnt touch anything. Booted up the server again, got the same error, reread the command console and found this: "[sEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Something real bad happened! The CraftAPI will not be runningfor this Minecraft session". Then it tells me to report this bug to the developers, which is what I plan to do.

Im still at a loss of what to do. Should I just use Bukkit instead, or another pluggin manager?

Thanks

That definitely shouldn't happen on a fresh setup done correctly.

You seem like an old dog trying to learn new tricks rather than the usual nasal minor expecting everything handed on a silver plate, I'll gladly help you and I'll hand you some info in a PM - we'll continue from there.

That oughta make life easier. :)

Also, let the devs be for now. I'm certain there's a minor mistake somewhere in the setup easily fixed.

They're up to their necks with similiar requests. :)