deletion of the pack not installed to technic directory deletes everything

MissFelixia

Question

Launcher Version: 221

Operating System: windows 7

Java Version: recent

Antivirus Program:

Description of Problem:

major bug when you delete a pack installed to the desktop it deletes almost everything :/ force closed it before it could but its deleted over 20,000 + files not associated to the mod pack. update around another 20,000 were found so thats over 40,000 files. :/

sims 3 stuff skyrim stuf things in other folders were deleted desktop icons everything

this needs fixing and fast luckily i have restore deleted files so am restoring all i can.

am going to have to remove the program until its updated to specifically search the location you set the pack to install to to delete it. this was certainly overlooked. cant say am not mad after its deleted so much.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

4 answers to this question

it was when choosing where to install a pack i dont think its ever been empty. what i did was someone sugested installing a pack to desktop worked so i tried and it never worked. then when i clicked remove pack it started deleting everything. luckily i had some stuff backed up and the lost stuff isnt much lost. but yes if you mean you need to manually select pack to install to desktop then yes. the remove pack button needs to be limited to search specifically for .technic folder or in the case of the pack i was trying to remove it shouldve been search for plus+ pack. not sure how it puts them on desktop if it makes a .technic folder on desktop then limit the search. :s

at least its being looked at now thank you :)

It doesn't search for a specific folder, if you dumped the files direct to your desktop then it does what it knows to do, IE delete the install dir

Unless you expect every mod author to explicitly name every file and folder that is packaged or the launcher itself to build this list for the sake of safe deletion this is the cleanest option the team has, not every pack has just the 4 key folders (bin, config, coremods, mods) and a few even put files in the pack root like readmes and changelogs

It's that or expect the end user to clear up any files the launcher missed which is bad development

Frankly this looks like whoever suggested installing the pack to desktop has a case of PEBKAC, you should never install anything to desktop IMO not only because it can quickly clutter your desktop but also so that uninstalling doesn't cause issues