Minecraft crashing while launching from the Technic Launcher on OSX? Read here.

chami

I've been seeing a lot of these requests lately, and after running into the problem myself I figured I would list down solutions that are known to work. The crash has something to do with Java 1.7 requiring LWJGL 2.9, and that's the extent of what I know about it.

Keep in mind that the Minecraft 1.6 update will update everyone to LWJGL 2.9 regardless, so these fixes are only applicable while we're waiting on mods and modpacks to update to 1.6.

Solution 1: Make the Technic Launcher run in Java 1.6

This solution involves creating a .command script in TextEdit that tells OS X to run the Technic Launcher and Minecraft in Java 1.6 instead of 1.7. This is only useful if you already have 1.6 installed on your system.

Directions thanks to Diah:

Nlorant99 said:

i need java 7 though... I have more than just tekkit to run on my computer

You can force the use of Java 6 just for the Technic Launcher, if you have it installed. I use the following script (saved as a .command file) to get it running:

#!/bin/zsh

cd "${0:h}"

export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

java -jar ./technic-launcher.jar

Paste the script into a plain text document (in Textedit, use shift-command-T to enter plain text mode) and save it with the extension ".command". Put it in the same folder as technic-launcher.jar.

You need to mark it as executable first using Terminal:

chmod +x /path/to/script.command

Then you can double-click it to start the Launcher. So far, using Java 6 is the only solution that's worked for me.

If you want to just flat-out uninstall Java 7 or need to download Java 6, links can be found here at the Spout Wiki.

Solution 2: Update LWJGL in your technic install (do not do this if you have an intel graphics card and are unwilling to download LWJGL nightly builds)

This is a significantly less involved, but riskier fix. The reason this is risky is because the current version of LWJGL (2.9) has a bug that causes Minecraft to render upside-down on Intel video cards. You need to update LWJGL for every pack you play.

1. Download the latest version of LWJGL here. If you have an Intel card, you may want to try downloading a version from their Jenkins, but it might be better to wait for a release version. Use Solution 1 for a more stable solution.

2. Open the Technic Launcher and navigate to the pack you want to update by clicking on the cogwheel underneath the pack's icon on the list and clicking "Open Folder".

3. Follow the directions for updating LWJGL on the Minecraft Wiki. It goes without saying that you install it in the modpack's folder that you opened in step 2.

Hope it helps!

It works now but it is all upside down!

Put it in Fullscreen (Function+F11) and that should fix it. Alternatively, restore your version of LWJGL and do solution 1 instead - your mac probably has a video card that is affected by the LWJGL bug.

• 2 months later...

Now if you could explain how to do this: and save it with the extension ".command". Put it in the same folder as technic-launcher.jar.

You need to mark it as executable first using Terminal:

like I'm five, that would be great

I'm sorry I haven't been responding lately, I've been busy and haven't been playing Minecraft. Now as to your questions, I apologize that I didn't edit Diah's original quote to make it more clear; here are the steps you should follow:

1. Create a new document in TextEdit, and paste the following code into it

#!/bin/zsh

export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

2. Save the file in the folder where the Technic Launcher is. You can name it whatever you want, and don't bother changing the file type. It will be saved as an .rtf (Rich Text File) by default.
  3. Right-click (or option+click) on the .rtf file you just saved and click on "Get Info". You can also select the file and press Command-I as a shortcut.
  4. Under the section marked "Name & Extension", replace ".rtf" with ".command" so that your file is named "name.command" instead of "name.extension." It may help to uncheck "hide extension" directly underneath that text entry field.
  5. A pop up will show asking you if you want to change the extension; click on "use .command" to proceed.
Once you've done this, marking it as an executable in the Terminal is easy. Do the following:
  1. Open up a Finder window and navigate to the folder where your new .command file is. This should be the same folder as the Technic Launcher.
  2. Open Terminal. It can be found in Applications/Utilities.
  3. In Terminal type
chmod +x
, do not press enter yet.
Go back to your Finder window, and then drag and drop your .command file into your Terminal window. This automatically fills in the path to your .command file. Once the path is inserted into Terminal, it should read something like this:

chmod +x username/folder-where-your-.command-file-is/name.command
Press "enter" and you should be good to go.

Let me know if there are any other problems, and I hope this works well for you!

I'm sorry I haven't been responding lately, I've been busy and haven't been playing Minecraft. Now as to your questions, I apologize that I didn't edit Diah's original quote to make it more clear; here are the steps you should follow:

#!/bin/zsh

2. Save the file in the folder where the Technic Launcher is. You can name it whatever you want, and don't bother changing the file type. It will be saved as an .rtf (Rich Text File) by default.
  3. Right-click (or option+click) on the .rtf file you just saved and click on "Get Info". You can also select the file and press Command-I as a shortcut.
  4. Under the section marked "Name & Extension", replace ".rtf" with ".command" so that your file is named "name.command" instead of "name.extension." It may help to uncheck "hide extension" directly underneath that text entry field.
  5. A pop up will show asking you if you want to change the extension; click on "use .command" to proceed.
Once you've done this, marking it as an executable in the Terminal is easy. Do the following:
  1. Open up a Finder window and navigate to the folder where your new .command file is. This should be the same folder as the Technic Launcher.
  3. In Terminal type
chmod +x
Go back to your Finder window, and then drag and drop your .command file into your Terminal window. This automatically fills in the path to your .command file. Once the path is inserted into Terminal, it should read something like this:

Let me know if there are any other problems, and I hope this works well for you!

Agh I don't know why it still isn't working! It works the first time that I Ioad it, as long as I have never played it before, but whenever I try to access, for example Hexxit, a second time, it won't get past the FML then white screen. (I actually got through to Hexxit twice instead of the usual just once today) I feel like the only solution is to never exit whatever modpack I'm playing?

Is this maybe a problem where I just need to keep loading and reloading the page until it works? Could I be doing something wrong?

Agh I don't know why it still isn't working! It works the first time that I Ioad it, as long as I have never played it before, but whenever I try to access, for example Hexxit, a second time, it won't get past the FML then white screen. (I actually got through to Hexxit twice instead of the usual just once today) I feel like the only solution is to never exit whatever modpack I'm playing?

Is this maybe a problem where I just need to keep loading and reloading the page until it works? Could I be doing something wrong?

A white screen, and then no response? The fix is for the crash to desktop that most people experienced due to LWJGL and Java 1.7 in OS X. The symptom for that is (as far as I recall it) FML loading, the Mojang screen coming up, and then Minecraft and the Technic Launcher just outright closing without an error message. If this is what was happening, you shouldn't have been able to access Hexxit at all in the first place.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about your specific problem to be of much help. If you could find a crash log (probably in user/Library/Application Support/technic/hexxit, I don't recall much more beyond that as I haven't touched Minecraft in a bit and just came back on the forums to see if there have been updates) be sure to post in the bug reports forum and maybe someone more knowledgable can help you. If you want to post it here I can probably take a look, but I wouldn't be much help. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so i followed chami's ren

#!/bin/zsh

3. In Terminal type
chmod +x

So i followed these renewed steps i have made it an executable and all but now on the previous steps it says double click the file u made inside the launcher folder, and that will open the launcher but when i do that it just opens the txt file. And when i just open the launcher by clicking the launcher.jar, hexxit stays upside down.

so i downgraded java to 1.6 but nothing changes, still have the upside down effect :/ even fullscreen won't work with me and i srsly don't understand the 2nd way :(

please help.