IC2 replacement mods

Webkilla

Before anyone throws what appears to be a very common canned response, the "Just go play Tekkit lite" at me: Don't - I wouldn't be here if that was what I wanted

Having looked through a number of the original "Why is IC2 gone?" threads and looked at the wiki page on IC2 substitute mods, and found both wanting, I'm curious:

1) Are there any mods that work with BC that introduce something akin to solar panels. I do NOT want to have to resort to engine-spam to power my setups.

2) Redstone Energy Cells are a welcome way of finally storing MJs, but are there any way - beyond having a whole bunch of RECs - to store more MJs? Like, bigger RECs or something?

3) The modular power suits... ya, I don't like 'em. Plain and simple. They're ludicrously costly, especially the jetpack (when compared with the IC2 jetpacks) and while I do like the idea behind them, then 4 Ion thrusters require so many incredibly rare materials it goes from not even funny to table-flippingly infuriating, chiefly on account of the seemingly astronomic rarity of this "ferous ore" stuff. Are there any mods that introduce something more akin to the original IC2 jetpack?

I mean, seriously, I can find the first 20 diamonds just randomly digging around in the bottom 20 layers for a good while no problem - it might take some time - but in my countless hours of playing Tekkit Lite and Tekkit I have NEVER found a single block of ferous ore. Never. And there's no apparent way to substitute or create ferous ore out of more common materials. IMO that is just plain bad mod design. In one tekkit lite server I put up three 64x64 quarries at depth 50 and have them dig down to bedrock to find me some ferous ore. None. That is an unacceptable level of rarity.

And sure: IC2 was OP at endgame when you had everything - but so is a fully equiped and kitted out modular powersuit with plasma guns, jetpack and everything... so I really don't see the distinction.

So that's what I want to know. Plus, IMO the energy bridge thingy in Tekkit Light seemed like a perfect solution for EU/MJ cross-compatibility, so I just can't see... but I'm not here to argue for IC2 to be put back in Tekkit, I've seen enough threads on that to see it not happening - but that doesn't make me any more happy about it.

uhh ferrus you can get from pulverizing iron, bout a 5% chance per ore. Also i have stacks and stacks of ferrus, no idea why you aren't getting any my guess is you genned chuncks with broken configs.

1) no. not directly anyway you would have to convert from one energy type to another, never seen an MJ producing solar at least.

2) no

3)nfc

the difference is what it takes to get there, IC2 took a hell of a lot less to get to OP status, and many things in IC2 only served to fix things that IC2 made problems.

uhh ferrus you can get from pulverizing iron, bout a 5% chance per ore. Also i have stacks and stacks of ferrus, no idea why you aren't getting any my guess is you genned chuncks with broken configs.

1) no. not directly anyway you would have to convert from one energy type to another, never seen an MJ producing solar at least.

2) no

3)nfc

the difference is what it takes to get there, IC2 took a hell of a lot less to get to OP status, and many things in IC2 only served to fix things that IC2 made problems.

For the very brief time when Mekanism was in Tekkit, I think it was configured so that the Mek solars produced MJ's. So maybe in a future release sometime......