[1.5.2]Wholesteading[PvP][20 slots][Open]Standard Hexxit plus Essentials - Have fun!

MasterSunTzu

[1.5.2]Wholesteading[PvP][20 slots][Open]Standard Hexxit plus Essentials - Have fun!

Server IP - wholesteading.game-host.org

Server rules - Have fun and play nice. Its a pretty open environment without a lot of rules. I'm posting the world here because its more fun playing with lots of people. No language or inappropriate behavior or you will simply be permanently banned.

Typical players - My sons and their friends, most of whom are home-schooled are frequently on the server. Some parents play too but mostly kids ages 9-12. All ages of nice people are welcome.

Uptime - Roughly 24/7 but sometimes down for maintenance, if the kids are grounded, or if the power is out

Standard Hexxit with a few added plugins, including Essentials.

Do not play on this server.

Admin forces PvP and randomly attacks and kills players.

Admin also griefs players, blowing up their homes.

Server lags often

Server is not up 24/7, sever was down from 8am-4pm

Several Perma-bans with no warnings for swearing.

My goal was to keep the server up 24/7. The server gets locked up and has to be hard rebooted after about 8 hours of use...hard to troubleshoot because when it comes back up I can't see anything in the logs that makes it clear what went wrong....I will keep working on it though. For now, I will try to have the server up most afternoons.

Also, on the "joke of a server" comment and the references to language. The server is just for fun and has a target audience of families and their young children. I realize that "damn" might not seem inappropriate to many players but many families find "damn" and other similar language offensive and inappropriate for their 7 year olds. To be fair, Noble was giving warnings before banning players but he found that once someone used the F word or other strong language that it doesn't matter how many times he "warns them"...they just keep on cussing. With that in mind, he just got tired of being merciful and just started banning on the first use.

I realize that a lot of servers have themes, rules, special games, and so on. This server is simply your basic "Hexxit" server and is pretty open to being explored and enjoyed however players see fit. I will continue to expect my son to be a friendly and fair admin. I will also work on improving the uptime and reducing the lag. I scanned through the chat log yesterday and it seems like a lot of nice players are having a lot of fun. At the end of the day, if you're not having fun on our server, just log out and find one you like better. Our feelings won't be hurt and we would prefer that you have fun, even if its not with us.

My goal was to keep the server up 24/7. The server gets locked up and has to be hard rebooted after about 8 hours of use...hard to troubleshoot because when it comes back up I can't see anything in the logs that makes it clear what went wrong....I will keep working on it though. For now, I will try to have the server up most afternoons.

Also, on the "joke of a server" comment and the references to language. The server is just for fun and has a target audience of families and their young children. I realize that "damn" might not seem inappropriate to many players but many families find "damn" and other similar language offensive and inappropriate for their 7 year olds. To be fair, Noble was giving warnings before banning players but he found that once someone used the F word or other strong language that it doesn't matter how many times he "warns them"...they just keep on cussing. With that in mind, he just got tired of being merciful and just started banning on the first use.

I realize that a lot of servers have themes, rules, special games, and so on. This server is simply your basic "Hexxit" server and is pretty open to being explored and enjoyed however players see fit. I will continue to expect my son to be a friendly and fair admin. I will also work on improving the uptime and reducing the lag. I scanned through the chat log yesterday and it seems like a lot of nice players are having a lot of fun. At the end of the day, if you're not having fun on our server, just log out and find one you like better. Our feelings won't be hurt and we would prefer that you have fun, even if its not with us.

I can understand that there can be server issues, I can handle a zero tolerance policy for swearing, the one thing you did not address and I can not handle was that your son was harassing and greifing players.

When I asked if he could turn KeepInventory on so that players could handle PvP without fear of loosing everything, he refused and said that people would give the server a bad review because the server had it on. This was after he blew up my in-game house.

That's fair. You are right, I didn't address the griefing and harassing. I have spoken with my son about it. He said that he gave admin rights to other people and that someone else must have been doing this. I was not there so I can't validate who did what, at least not easily now without spending hours rummaging through old server logs. So, rather than dwell on the past, I have discussed this with NobleSunTzu and we talked about being a good admin and the opportunity he has to create an enjoyable server for others. I am upgrading the server now and when I bring it back up I will remove all admin access except for NobleSunTzu's. I will then look to this community to provide feedback on how things are going with the server. If there continues to be a problem and the logs support the accusations then I will simply remove Noble's admin access and try again. If it continues to be a problem after that then I will just shutdown the server and we will play outside in the real world for a few months.

As for the "KeepInventory" setting, would you prefer that we enable that or disable that on our server? I will set this based on everyone's feedback. Also, are there any stable mods that we should consider adding or other settings we can change that would make this a better experience? I'm new to this so have patience with me as I learn the Minecraft server options.

One last question as I get ready for the update...can I just copy the "world" folder over once the update is done or is that a bad idea? Upgrading to Hexxit 1.0.7 now...

Server is back up...same as before but now Hexxit 1.0.7 and added two new plugins to help with preventing griefing and to lessen lag on the server. I also enabled the keepInventory option...for now, unless players want it turned off again. I copied over the World folder so much of what everyone had is still there...but some settings may have been lost during the upgrade. If you notice something missing and know what I should have done to maintain things better please let me know. Overall that wasn't too painful. Now I'm off to enjoy the server for a little bit...see you online! MasterSunTzu

As far as keep inventory, I'd suggest to leave it off. Half the fun of Hexxit, and minecraft in general, is the fear of death and losing items, if you take that away the game becomes increasingly pointless.

As far as Noble attempting to push the blame onto others, that is simply not true. Along with outright asking me if it was okay if he could "pm others using my name", unless you have some plugin that allows players to disguise themselves as others, it was very specifically Noble who teleported to and attacked me.

Not that it matters at this point. Your inability to restrict your son's powers and actions on the server have already turned me away from the server, and I will not be returning.

Oh, and on a side note, when he ignored my comment that I didn't want 4 free chests filled with diamond blocks and simply wanted the backpacks that he had given to his friend back, his answer was that they were lost. His friend returned two of the bags, after being told not to. Then, I asked Noble for a replacement for my Spider Shoot, which is impossible to obtain except as the drop from a specific spider boss that is very difficult to find. His answer (mind you this was AFTER he attacked and killed me, destroying a portion of my home, in CREATIVE MODE, along with a friend whom he had given armor with around 15 enchantments on it [i saw the armor later, and noble instantly deleted it when he found out I had it]) was that he would not give me back the item because it would be an 'unfair pvp advantage'.

Oh and when questioned as to why he deleted the obviously cheated armor from my inventory, his answer was that he had played legit "AT FIRST" and that those particular items were not cheated, even though I know for a fact some of the enchantments were ones that are not allowed to be on the same piece of armor without cheating them onto it. He not only tried to lie, he also outright admitted that he no longer played legitimately. In a PVP-allowed server, you can not allow the admins to simply run around giving god armor to the people he likes.

To put it in perspective, I had a Diamond Giant sword with sharpness 5, fire aspect 2 on it, and hit the guy attacking me around 10 times before I died, pausing over and over to say "stop" he never took even one point in damage. That's the type of overpowered shit your son is running around giving to people.

Oh and you should clarify the rules a bit. You do NOT currently have it stating that cussing will be insta-banned, at least not clearly enough.

I was temporarily banned shortly after joining the server, because Noble gave him the ability to fly because he asked for it, and then, after I suggested that wasn't a good idea, the guy told me to "Shut the Fuck up!!!" and proceeded to follow me around kill me while flying so I could not attack back. When I said "Dude F off, stop cheating" I was instabanned, while the other guy was not punished until I logged onto my second account to attempt to reason with him, where I was called a hacker multiple times to my face, with him accusing me of hacking someone's minecraft account, because he can't grasp the concept of someone owning more than one account.

So i can personally agree with yeknod2011, this server is a joke. I was finally astounded that i found a server that met my personal requirements. Hmm... too good to be true? I guess so! As soon as i connected onto the server there was a character that started smacking me. I did not do anything. He must have been an admin (maybe this guys kid or somethin) because he was flying around in creative mode. He would not leave me alone, so i then typed in chat "wtf?" and instantly got kicked. I know i was not using that for good but that does not mean it is always bad. If there is absolutely no swearing im assuming these apply at home so how do they know what wtf means? i actually have a town here where i live that has WTF going into town, meaning Welcome To Fruita. I understand that there is absolutely no swearing but when you have admins abusing their powers there is nothing we can do. You even said yourself "The server is just for fun" but how can one have fun with that nonsense happening?

-BTW the guy that was smacking me was noble or some name like that. I know there was only two admins on because they were both at the spawn building statues.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

i like your server. but please, please, PLEASE rent a server from nitrado or reduce the lagg!!

The Battletowers and generally everything is horrible with this laggs!!

The WHOLE Community of this server would highly appreciate it if you rent a server or reduce the lagg!

It laggs horrible hard man. Thats the only critism i have to say.

thanks,

Zaphix

Sorry about the lagg. I'm not ready to spend any money on hosting a server because there are so many great servers available and there are lots of other things to put my money towards. I mostly just wanted my boys to have the opportunity to learn more about administrating a server. They have learned a ton in the process so its already been worth it. The server is running on an old machine so when I upgrade the kids computers over the summer one of their current computers will become the new minecraft server. Until then I will see if the boys want to place a lower limit on the total number of players or see if there is anything else we can do to help improve the performance.

• 4 weeks later...

The moderators here don't typically get involved with server issues, but it seems like the OP needs to put some limits on his son's (or friends of his son's) abilities if they can't control themselves. It's not fun to play on a survival server that certain people are permitted to use for their personal playground, at the expense of the players or just for their own amusement. This type of server often gives rise to forum drama we don't particularly like seeing, so I'll close the thread if needed.

That said, please make clear in your server title what version of Hexxit you are running. It would also be helpful to post some pictures, say of spawn or other user creations, if you want to attract high quality players. This thread does not advertise your server well, between the negative comments that seem to have commonality and the sparseness of information/visuals.

The moderators here don't typically get involved with server issues, but it seems like the OP needs to put some limits on his son's (or friends of his son's) abilities if they can't control themselves. It's not fun to play on a survival server that certain people are permitted to use for their personal playground, at the expense of the players or just for their own amusement. This type of server often gives rise to forum drama we don't particularly like seeing, so I'll close the thread if needed.

That said, please make clear in your server title what version of Hexxit you are running. It would also be helpful to post some pictures, say of spawn or other user creations, if you want to attract high quality players. This thread does not advertise your server well, between the negative comments that seem to have commonality and the sparseness of information/visuals.

Feel free to close the thread. My son is 9 years old and is still developing the maturity to appropriately administer a server. I will try again in the future but for now its fine if you want to delete this thread.

Feel free to close the thread. My son is 9 years old and is still developing the maturity to appropriately administer a server. I will try again in the future but for now its fine if you want to delete this thread.

I'm not interested in making your life difficult. I was suggesting continuing to run the server and removing admin/OP (since any OP can OP others unless you remove that ability) powers from someone who appears to be abusing them, and may be either lying to you about it, or hiding it from you. It's still a good thing to allow children to interact with other people, but the amount of power I feel they should be given over other people is...severely limited.

Disclaimer: I have a 4- and 5-year-old, both girls, whom I don't allow to play video games yet, so I don't really have a good idea of the maturity level of your average 9-year-old boy. I'm guessing it's not high enough to have a good grasp of when he's frustrating other players with his desire for entertainment/amusement.

MasterSunTzu, I have not played on your server yet but do plan to later today or tomorrow so you don't have to take anything I say into account. I am basing this off of what I have read on this thread.

You seem to be lacking in connection, which is fine and can be tolerated to a certain extent, plus you have also mentioned that you are going to replace one of your sons computer to the server computer when you get him a new one. It sounds like you have two or more so I suggest only upgrading your other sons/daughter computer more than Noble's if you can only afford one and use it as a punishment if he continues his power hungry ways, but you don't have to listen to this as I am not a parent nor can I tell you how to raise your kids.

Onto the second most important subject. You said that your server get's locked up after 8 hours of use? Although that is odd you can find ways to get around this. One in particular in my mind right now is to go to a programming website where they have a board for request and asking someone to right a program that restarts the server every 7 hours, also make sure your computer isn't going into sleep mode every 8 hours as this may be the problem.

What really seems to be like the worst problem right now is your son Noble, I don't know his real name so I will be referring to him as Noble. Your son does seem to be a child who gets crazy with power, thinking he can do what he wants and get away with it just because he has the power. In this case admin powers. To help with this problem is to limit his power, you can do this with plugins at http://bukkit.org/. Not sure if you know about them or not but it's just another way to run a minecraft server, you can google around and look for a hexxit bukkit server download as I am running short on time as I type this. But back to the main point you can get "plugins" for bukkit which some of them do change the powers admins have and seems like would be a very good thing for you since with majority of these plugins you can give and take powers away, you could use this to punish/reward your son for anything he does that you think deserves a punishment/reward for.

I do plan on playing on your server soon and hope dearly that these problems are fixed/improvised.

Also until Noble understands how to use his power correctly I suggest keeping everyone up to date on his current "status"