Modpack performance?

0siris

Hey guys, I'de be happy if anyone could give me some assistance. I don't know much about computers, and I realize mine is outdated, but...

I can run vanilla minecraft pretty well, however I'm having a huge performance issue with the AotB pack, I'm sure my specs have a lot to do with it, but I figured I'de see if anyone here had input on something I could do to make it operate better.

My frames are decent (I have optifine installed) however my all memory quickly becomes used up. The game will start up at around 40% memory - 400/989mb and works its way up until it crashes. My allocated memory is at 74% with a total of 741mb.

I've tried using the launcher to allocate more, but 1GB is the highest option it allows. (Why doesn't it have allocated memory @ 989 in game?) I've also messed with the Java runtime paramaters, but no luck there.

Would I get better performance if I took out some of the mods from the pack?

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4600+   2.4GHz

4.00 GB RAM

GeForce 7300 LE

32-bit Windows Vista OS

Also I'm running on a fresh reformat of Vista, and the newest Java version.

I would really love to run this pack without crashing 5 minutes in :s. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by 0siris

Part of the problem is that you don't have a 64-bit computer. Java's 32 bit version can only handle up to 1GB of RAM, which is why you don't see more options for RAM in the launcher options.

As for the issue of RAM being eaten up 5 mins in, and then running out of it and crashing, it's possible there's a memory leak somewhere, but that's not something that can be fixed on your end; if there is, it would be a mod causing it. Maybe I'm missing something, which is always possible, but I think you may be outta luck. :(

Thanks for the info on the 32/64 bit. Knowing MC, I'm sure it probably is a memory leak [:P] . I actually just reset the pack, and it doesn't seem so bad. I'm sure lady luck isn't on my side, and the problem will still arise, but thanks a lot for the post, buddy.

I might try removing some mods and seeing if that helps, if not, I guess its back to MS Paint and solitaire. hahaha.

Edit: did a few things, removed the redpower mod, and my memory seems a bit better - still getting crashes, just not as often. If anyone knows how to remove Forge Microblocks, please post on this topic:
'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

(Sorry for 2 different topics, I figured they were, well different topics, so yeah..)

Edited by 0siris