Java Directory

Zehm

misterbk

Coal Miner

Members

113 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yeah "Not recognized as an internal or external command" just means that it could not locate any executables named java.exe within your path.

The JDK probably works because it assumes you want to run java.exe all the time by hand, so it adds the location to your path.

You could fix this in two ways:

1: Add the full path to java to the .bat file, so instead of just java.exe it says c:\program files\java\java.exe

2: Add the location of Java to your path by doing this:

right-click on My Computer (or Computer for Vista and 7) and choose Properties.

Navigate to the Advanced tab (or for Vista and 7, click 'Advanced System Settings on the left, then find the Advanced tab, which should come up first actually)

Also note, there is a 'javaw.exe' that seems to be exactly like java.exe, but it gives graphical popup error messages instead of text-mode output into the terminal that you may or may not actually have or actually see or actually look at. Other than that they seem to be interchangeable, at least as far as Minecraft goes. (I just get a popup message with an 'ok' button if there's an error, and no terminal window, when I use javaw.exe.)

Click Environment Variables

Under System Variables, find 'Path' and click Edit...

DO NOT ERASE OR REPLACE THE CONTENTS OF THIS. REMEMBER YOU ARE IN THE ADVANCED SECTION, WHICH MEANS ACTING DUMB WILL BREAK STUFF.

At the very end of the text field, add a semicolon [ ; ] and add the location of java.exe.

For people who are on 32-bit systems, or are on 64-bit systems and have downloaded the 64-bit java, this is "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin". Mimic the syntax you see in the other entries.

For people who are on 64-bit systems and have NOT downloaded the 64-bit JRE, this is "c:\program files (x86)\java\jre6\bin"

Batch files will now be able to find java.exe without you modifying the batch file.

Note that modifying the minecraft server batch file is much easier and does not make changes to your system that might affect other programs... Though adding java to your path is perfectly okay!

It was the first link on google when I searched for Minecraft how to path java. FYI, make sure you path for your Java7 install, not the Java6 install mentioned above.