A Question about Anti-Cheat Mods

thegamer

An idea came to me on the topic of anti-cheat plugins a while back and I wondered why a system like what I'm suggesting hasn't been implemented.

Couldn't a small program be tacked on to the MC launcher which cross checks the client files with an established list of cheat files. An "if" statement which checks for the presence of a file and then modifies a Boolean variable based on the presence or lack thereof of cheat files should not be too hard to implement. The value of the said Boolean variable could be in the list of profile information which the client sends to the server. Since this approach seems non-invasive, easy, and beneficial to 99% of server operators why hasn't anybody implemented it?

Currently I have about 1 chapter of a Java programming book under my belt so feel free to enlighten any ignorance I might have on the simplicity of this program.

Many cheaters and all pirates use a modified version of the client anyway. So like almost all DRM it just targets legitimate users and imparts an extra way the program can glitch and fail.

Besides, checking filenames or hash signatures would be worthless as those can be changed in with no effort. So you'd have to lock down the base game directly, which would simultaneously not work (see pirates) and deny all mods.

Only effective measure against cheaters is behavioral matching and vigilance. Like if someone mines up a stack of diamonds in their first half hour you can safely assume they're using an x-ray.