[REQUEST] Towny and Worldguard Mods for Anti-Griefing

couchguy987

Summary: Please add Towny and Worldguard to Tekkit.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-fun-info-chat-tp-towny-advanced-v0-79-0-0-land-control-and-town-management-1846.25101/

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/sec-worldguard-5-3-block-fire-ice-melt-mushrooms-advanced-fast-area-protect-blacklist-1185.790/

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm currently a server admin on a Tekkit SMP server (don't worry, I won't blatantly advertise, if you're really curious read my post history).

So, we've installed various mods such as Towny for the purpose of making anti-griefing a lot easier.

http://xshade.ca/projects/towny/

However, we've noticed that there are various blocks/tools/weapons that aren't protected/protected against by towny, such as any blocks that are non-vanilla, especially industrialcraft and buildcraft. Most notably, the Industrialcraft Mining Laser, Industrial Nuke, and both variations of dynamite (regular and sticky) will break blocks that are supposedly protected by towny, due to the way that they break blocks.

Worldguard is another such anti-griefing mod.

http://www.sk89q.com/projects/worldguard/

We haven't tested it much yet, but I imagine we'll see much the same results as with towny (unprotected blocks/tools/weapons). We intend to use both mods in conjuction on the server.

So, are the Technicpack devs aware of these two mods, and are there any plans to add them to Tekkit in the future, and further, to provide comprehensive protections for items in all tekkit mods under both towny and worldguard?

I think the main reason its not been added is they simply do not work properly with tekkit, As you mentioned they do not protect none-vanilla Blocks. They also do not stop you from break the blocks in protected areas with items such as a mining laser, This is an issue with bukkit not having the correct hooks for tekkit items. This isnt something you can easily fix.

I think the main reason its not been added is they simply do not work properly with tekkit, As you mentioned they do not protect none-vanilla Blocks. They also do not stop you from break the blocks in protected areas with items such as a mining laser, This is an issue with bukkit not having the correct hooks for tekkit items. This isnt something you can easily fix.

In other words, this request should probably be addressed more to the dev teams of Towny and Worldguard, respectively, to fully support all the technicpack mods?

Well, it should actually be the mod dev's of the blocks that doesn't work, because they need to have their machine in some way connected to the player. If the dev's of the towny/worldguard made all machines available to work, a random dude could just come over with his filler and remove the whole city. So you need to talk to Buildcraft/IC2/Redpower/Minefactory/etc devs

Well, it should actually be the mod dev's of the blocks that doesn't work, because they need to have their machine in some way connected to the player. If the dev's of the towny/worldguard made all machines available to work, a random dude could just come over with his filler and remove the whole city. So you need to talk to Buildcraft/IC2/Redpower/Minefactory/etc devs

I'm not so much talking about enabling blocks within towny, although it would be nice to be able to run an autominer/quarry/etc. within a claimed town plot. That would most likely be a toggle setting anyway (Turn machines on/off). I'm more talking about protecting any given block against the mining laser and others that I've mentioned above.

The other admin on this server just found a Bukkit plugin called uBlock that may present a potential fix.

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/ublock/

We are currently testing it for all of the IC items mentioned previously in this thread, but our test on the mining laser was hopeful (disabled the use of the mining laser within a defined region for a specific user permission level).

I suggest dissablign the laser at the start, i havent figured out a way to prevent usage with towny for that yet.

But for more other items, go into the townyconfig, and add the IDs of the tools into switches and usages, that should sort alot of ur issues :)

To stop griefing you would have to disable every Tekkit block, ill list a few:

• [li]Quarry[/li]
    [li]Builder[/li]
    [li]Mining Well[/li]
    [li]All the types of tnt (nuke industrial dynamite)[/li]
    [li]Industrial craft miner[/li]
    [li]Mining drill (The pickaxe thing)[/li]
    [li]All the wrenches[/li]
    [li]Pump[/li]
    [li]Ect...[/li]

Not to mention you can place everysingle tekkit block in a protected area, So you would have to disable all those to stop block spam :)

You get what im saying its impossible to stop griefing on tekkit servers. Sadly.

To stop griefing you would have to disable every Tekkit block, ill list a few:

• [li]Quarry[/li]
    [li]Builder[/li]
    [li]Mining Well[/li]
    [li]All the types of tnt (nuke industrial dynamite)[/li]
    [li]Industrial craft miner[/li]
    [li]Mining drill (The pickaxe thing)[/li]
    [li]All the wrenches[/li]
    [li]Pump[/li]
    [li]Ect...[/li]

Not to mention you can place everysingle tekkit block in a protected area, So you would have to disable all those to stop block spam :)

You get what im saying its impossible to stop griefing on tekkit servers. Sadly.

Right. One of the most glaring exploits is placing an industrial Nuke and then shooting it with a mining laser set to explosive mode.

I may have gotten a bit carried away testing that one. :)