Newbie Question

Nayoyo

The FAQ didn't have the answer, and I figure it's smarter to ask before spending the money on a dedicated server.

If i get a server through ggservers or some such site, will it be able to run the custom modpack server? my Laptop cannot host a server and play at the same time, so i'm looking to buy a dedicated one to be able to play with a small group of friends.

(not that i even know how to set up a server, but that's what youtube and trial/error is for)

Edited by Nayoyo

• Discord Moderator

Any server capable of executing Forge or Cauldron/MCPC+ as the server binary should theoretically be capable of hosting a custom modpack server. Keep in mind that modded servers are much more hungry for RAM and CPU resources than vanilla and the bare minimums for even a small pack can drastically exceed the minimums for a modded server. Beyond those non-specific statements it is difficult to say without host specific information and details about a particular pack.

Well i figured with the number of people playing (5-6) and the ~95 mods in the pack(probably around 85 after I take out the NEIaddons, Optifine, and a couple other client side mods), a server with 5gb ram allocated to it would be enough.