Cool obsidian mining trick

Kotja

Good find. But maybe a bit of explanation will improve the usefulness of that hint.

The Redstone Arsenal tools have an empowered mode that needs energy in the form of either a Flux Capacitor or a TE Energy Cell in your inventory. Once empowered, the tool will have a red outline and be able to mine more than a single block if certain conditions are fulfilled. The pickaxe, for instance, will mine not just the block you aim at, but also the ones right above and below it, if they are pickaxe-type blocks, i.e. stone or ore. Kotja now found that this can be exploited by placing stone right above or below a layer of Obsidian, thus breaking the Obsidian with the speed that the stone is broken.

It should be noted that once you are able to craft Restone Arsenal gear, it should also be trivial to make an Obsidian generator (two variants explained >here). So this is mainly useful to remove Obsidian quickly, not to mass-mine it.

Edited by Curunir

Redstone Arsenal tools are my friends from the start. The only problems are with the certus quartz ore block (empowering doesn't work as it should) and nether quartz (silk touch with empowering sets them up and pigmen get angry).

The nether quartz ore with the Nether Ores mod is very difficult to mine. Even mystcraft doesn't help. Spheres of nether quartz blocks get set up to explode. The only way is block by block with silk touch and that's not the tekkit way of doing things.

On the quick obsidian trick: when I've started my world and wanted quick obsidian I turned to Computercraft as turtles mine obsidian just as fast as stone.

Edit: We need a 'tips & tricks' topic with this and other like the sewage/block placer xp trick.

Edit 2: I've had many axe on tree/wood crashes with the tools. Maybe treecapitator did this. Not concerned by this.

Edited by bochen415

Edit: We need a 'tips & tricks' topic with this and other like the sewage/block placer xp trick.

>We have one now. Feel free to start contributing.

Edit 2: I've had many axe on tree/wood crashes with the tools. Maybe treecapitator did this. Not concerned by this.

Seems to be empowered mode clashing with Treecapitator. Hold Shift (default key, can be changed in Treecapitator config) while hacking to bypass Treecapitator. Or just power down the axe - they do fine in that state and still do not deteriorate.

I know, that you can get obsidian easily using generators or turtle, but my method is good for getting rid of obsidian from place, where you don want it - Such as music disc getting thingie when you have all of them.

Just remembered something... Don't we have something to transmute obsidian on land to something that can be easy mined? Something like a... entropy accelerator (or maybe other tool)? What does it do with obsidian?

Edited by bochen415