I need help with 64-bit Java

Yumadome

Hello all.

I've tried to install the 64 bit java before and never had much luck.  Not that more of the mod packs require more memory, I thought I'd better figure out how to make it work.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 16GB RAM, dual GTX 560 Ti graphics cards, and lots of hard drive space.

Whenever I try to install the 64 bit java, it wants to know about my browsers and such.  I'm running both Chrome and Internet Explorer.  I don't get what the browser has to do with anything since Minecraft and Technic don't run in a browser.  It seems like every time I try to install the 64 bit version of Java, it ends up that Minecraft decide it isn't installed at all and I end up having to go back and reinstall the 32 bit version instead.

Am I choosing the wrong Java install?  I know there is Java machine, java runtime, etc. etc. but I don't understand the difference between them all.

It's getting very frustrating... Here I've got 16GB of memory and my games are running out of memory?  grrrrrr....   I'm just about ready to hssssssst... bang!

Hello all.

I've tried to install the 64 bit java before and never had much luck.  Not that more of the mod packs require more memory, I thought I'd better figure out how to make it work.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 16GB RAM, dual GTX 560 Ti graphics cards, and lots of hard drive space.

Whenever I try to install the 64 bit java, it wants to know about my browsers and such.  I'm running both Chrome and Internet Explorer.  I don't get what the browser has to do with anything since Minecraft and Technic don't run in a browser.  It seems like every time I try to install the 64 bit version of Java, it ends up that Minecraft decide it isn't installed at all and I end up having to go back and reinstall the 32 bit version instead.

Am I choosing the wrong Java install?  I know there is Java machine, java runtime, etc. etc. but I don't understand the difference between them all.

It's getting very frustrating... Here I've got 16GB of memory and my games are running out of memory?  grrrrrr....   I'm just about ready to hssssssst... bang!

Try using the windows 64-bit installer from here: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Don't go too crazy giving minecraft all that RAM though. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but Java essentially barfs if you give it too much ram. I'd stick with around 2-3 GB depending on the pack.

Awesome!  That did the trick... I wish I'd found this before... now all I need is the time to try all the mods I had to bypass before :)

Thanks so much, you rock!

Yumadome

You're totally welcome, I've run into similar issues before.

(You might want to edit the signiture out of your post though, kind of a rule here.)

• 2 weeks later...