Initial launch not working

matthewtyson

Question

As of about 20 minutes ago my launcher worked fine. I tried to change it to use java 64 bit, and failed because I'm a bit of a nub when it comes to these things. Now when I run it, a small CMD box pops up for a blink of an eye (can't even read it) and then disappears, and nothing happens. I tried deleting the technic folder, downloading a new .jar file to install it, and it has the same problem. It does not create a new technic folder. I tried the .exe file and that has the standard problem as well.

I figure I'll need to start over, but I don't know how far I need to go. Any ideas?

P.S. I have a 64-bit java shortcut that launches minecraft and still works fine. Found it with a basic google search though, not sure how it works.

Launcher/pack Version: direct download from http://www.technicpack.net/launcher/

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version of Java: JRE 6 / JRE 7

Description of Problem: Above

Error Messages: none

Link to pastebin of log: none

23 answers to this question

How did you "change it" to install 64bit?

If you're talking about installing 64-bit java, i just googled jre7 and installed it the 64-bit version (and the 32-bit version per your suggestion).

If you're talking about the minecraft shortcut, I modified my minecraft shortcut to the following:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

Start In: "C:\Users\Matthew Tyson\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin"

Found all that on google. No clue how it works, but it does.

And finally, I didn't change the technic launcher shortcut at all.

I changed the minecraft shortcut to

Target: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

Start In: "C:\Users\Matthew Tyson\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin"

and it still works. x64 is 64-bit, x86 is 32-bit.

I'm having trouble figuring out why the technic launcher isn't working though. It's not modified at all.

So you fixed it?

And are you sure? The 64bit architecture is amdx86-x64

I'll rephrase everything. My 64-bit shortcut to run minecraft runs Vanilla. I have the techniclauncher.jar file on my desktop and when I attempt to run it, it does not function (see initial post for description). I provided the info about the minecraft shortcut just in case it sparked any ideas.

Checking wikipedia real quick, i'm pretty sure x64 is 64-bit.

So you never changed anything to do with technic? (Except of course installing java.)

Well... I guess technically yes I did, now that I think about it. It was working as of a few hours ago, and then I changed what it opens with (right click > properties > opens with) to c:/program files/java/jre7/bin/java.exe, after which it stopped working. I tried changing it back to jre6, the other versions of jre7, and it didn't work regardless of what I did. I tried deleting the .techniclauncher folder in %appdata% and running a fresh download from http://www.technicpack.net/launcher/, and it didn't change anything.

So investigating through task manager > processes, when I open it using your right-click trick, the program is apparently running java.exe from jre7/bin. When I manually set this file in properties, I get the problem I described earlier.

Does it matter that i'm trying to open the file by double clicking versus right click > open with? Just a bit of a dumb check.

Because you have it setup to open it with the wrong thing, not sure what it should open with though, you could do right click > open with > Set default program > and it may be in that list somewhere.

Because you have it setup to open it with the wrong thing, not sure what it should open with though, you could do right click > open with > Set default program > and it may be in that list somewhere.

worked like a charm! It just didn't want to set the default program properly from properties. Thanks!