Server crash on client logon.

wadeal

Question

Launcher/pack Version: Client 1.0.1.3, Server 2.1.1

Operating System: Client Windows 7 x64, Server Windows 2008 R2

Version of Java: Client 7.2, Server 7.3

Description of Problem:

Server appears to start ok, couple of overloaded errors, then when a client connects it gets stuck on "Downloading Terrain" for a long period (about 20-30 seconds), then once it gets past that the Java window stops responding. At this point the server console is completely unresponsive, or takes minutes to return a command, but no overloaded errors and CPU usage stays around 50% on the server.

Server is running virtually on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 assigned 4 Xeon Cores (@ 2.37 ghz each) and 4gb RAM which I assume should be plenty for the 2 users playing on it.

In the game is a room of machines (normal macerator, electric furnace etc), a pretty simple pipe network, 2 quarries running, a wheat and tree farm, simple power network of wind and solar and a thermo running from a pump down at level 12 for the second quarry.

I do have a backup I can fall back on but would prefer to find why this is happening if possible.

Error Messages:

None.

Link to pastebin of log:

Pastebin of client Launcher

http://pastebin.com/1A7sqrG1

Pastebin of server log (Last couple of days)

http://pastebin.com/iYydsx85

UPDATE 13/05

So I gave up trying to fix it, having next to no Java knowledge or experience with Minecraft servers and mods, and restored from my backup. Server started fine and could play, then a couple of hours later I come home from tea the exact same thing happens again, client joins, sticks on "Downloading Terrain". Server shows the client connect, client doesn't get any further than that screen (Downloading Terrain), gets an end of stream error, which the server shows, but the server console is completely unresponsive at this point; a help command takes upto a minute to return.

My previous pastebin of just the last few days may not of been that helpful, so I've got a copy of just one startup of the server here:

http://pastebin.com/CcmEu86X

To me it appears that something in the world itself is killing the server. Would it help to post my server folder and if someone else could try start it up and connect?

4 answers to this question

Update 13/05

Restored from backup again, played a few hours, came back next morning. Exactly the same thing again.

I've talked to some friends who run a lot bigger and busier servers and they agree it must be something in the game, but what?

I have: 3 LV Solar Panels, 8 Windmills, 1 Geothermal, 1 Bio Generator, 1 Tree Farm, 1 Rubber Tree Farm, 1 Wheat Farm, 2 Macerator, 2 Electric Furnace, 1 Compressor, 1 Extractor, about 10 automated crafting tables, 2 Quarries, Pipe and Wires between most of this. I have some averagely complicated sorting happening with the pipes, but nothing too drastic that should cause this I'd thing (about 20 ish diamond pipes, some distribution pipes in places).

Also, when I enter the game after recovering from my backup, everything that was in the pipes (from the 2 quarries + farms) it seems has all fallen out in one spot. The framerate on the client is dead until I get this cleared up and the server has a bunch of overloaded errors until it's removed (we're talking 20-30 stacks of blocks). Something to do with the chunks being loaded again when someone logs in or something?

Do you have any chunloading blocks on your server? If you are chunloading the quarries and some of the pipes then it reaches an unloaded pipe the items can spill all over the floor. Your server then tries to track all those items and grinds to a halt +/- crashes. Would also occur if the quarries are running and the items hit a full inventory, they will again spill all over the floor.

When you get into the server type /remove items -1 . it will remove all items on the floor and say how many it is. If it's a lot then you have items leaking and just need to sort out your setup. Trying to run the output from a quarry just into chests won't work very well because you'll dig up an obscene ammount of cobblestone.

If you want to keep quarries loaded with chunkloaders then make sure all the pipes running from them to wherever everything is going are loaded (check with F9 which will show loaded chunk boundries) and make sure your system can handle all the junk (one way is 1 mk2 or better matter furnace per quarry and pipe all the crap into them, alternatively overclocked recyclers turning it to scrap going into a mass fabricator but you'd need more energy generation or if you don't mind wasting it aim the pipe at a lava square to burn it all up).

Thanks Bonfire

I tried that command and yep, fixes it. After doing some research tonight I've came to the same comclusion you've suggested. It's just the lag from all the items dropped from pipes when no ones around for the chunks to load.

I've tried in the past using chunkloaders (to keep something in the nether running) but this led to serious performance issues on the server as well and had to restart the world, even after removing the chunkloader blocks it was unplayable.

Think I'll look at running a dummy user instead.

Thanks for the help, problem is resolved.

Nether chunks only load when someone is in the nether and if you removed them and trhe server performance didn;'t improve then it's NOTHING to do with your chunloading blocks :). Fact is a chunkloader loads 5 chunks total (one it's in and 4 adjacent) whereas a player loads 10 (by default) chunks in ever direction. It takes a lot of chunkloading blocks to be an issue.

The lag that most people attribute to chunkloaders is normally nothing to do with the blocks but the insane ammount of machines on the chunks ppl put them in (often a lot of solar panels, BC pipe leaks, IC2 power loops, rapidly pulsing RP2 circuits and so on) and you can tell when that's the case because removing the blocks doesn't fix it :).

IMO you either turn machines off whenever you are going away from those blocks or you chunkload enough bits that nothing can go wrong, anything else is asking for trouble. If someone is building away merrily and is just about in range to load a quarry but nothing else you get a ton of crap on the floor and no-one notices until the server starts falling over.