Massive FPS spikes (this time with detailed information)

Mithaldu

Question

Launcher/pack Version: Technic Launcher 1.0.1.3 / Modbuild: 2.1.0 | 1.1

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

Version of Java: Java 7u4 64 bit

Description of Problem:

After a very short while of playing the performance of the game will deteriorate in such a manner that very sharp FPS spikes happen every few seconds, causing the F3 fps graph to resemble a fine-toothed comb.

Steps to reproduce:

[list type=decimal]

[li]make sure no traces of minecraft or technics are on the system anymore[/li]

[li]download and install the technics launcher from: http://mirror.technicpack.net/files/TechnicLauncher.exe[/li]

[li]run launcher, select tekkit, enter credentials and launch without modifying any options[/li]

[li]generate a single player map or join a server, it doesn't really matter[/li]

[li]spin in place for a while with the F3 display activated[/li]

[li]when the performance seems to have deteriorated nicely, stop spinning and stand still. (standing at a 45° angle to the cardinal directions seems to affect performance worse than standing at 90° angles, as well as proximity of AI constructs (they might even be mandatory))[/li]

[li]enjoy finely toothed FPS comb and make screenshot:

ep5T3.png[/li]

Some points of note:

• [li]vanilla Minecraft runs perfectly fine for prolonged stretches of time[/li]
    [li]as do various other cpu and gfx intensive games like Tribes: Ascend[/li]
    [li]this is not isolated to tekkit and occurs with hack/mine (and presumably others as well)[/li]
    [li]the intel card in the dxdiag log is only a backup, for 3D applications the Nvidia Quadro is used[/li]
    [li]no options but the ones mentioned in the steps above were changed[/li]
    [li]i have actively tried to identify and switch off any firewalls/antivirus software that might've been on my system, i am 99% sure none were left running[/li]
    [li]similarly, i have also attempted this while aggressively closing any non-essential software, with no change[/li]
    [li]reducing the vision range to tiny seems to be the only option that DOES reduce the fps spikes appreciably, other values of this option do not seem to differ in effect[/li]
    [li]editing .techniclauncher\tekkit\config\IC2.cfg to set `soundsEnabled=false` in an attempt to stave off fps issues proved futiles (in former experiments it was even noticed that this does not actually disable any sound)[/li]
    [li]disabling sounds or music in the options prior to loading any map was similarly futile (though it did disable sounds)[/li]

I am open to any and all suggestions or requests for information and will attempt them and supply feedback as copiously as possible.

Error Messages: N/A

Link to pastebin of log:

Launcher log: http://www.pastie.org/3928249

DXDiag: http://www.pastie.org/3928253

8 answers to this question

You said you used an Nvidia graphics card? right-click on your desktop and the menu should come up, click Nvidia control panel and go to Manage 3D settings and it should say preferred graphics processor, click on the drop-down box and select High-Performance Nvidia processor or whatever else it's called. I had absolutely terrible lag, so bad that if I pressed F3 it would cover up my screen until I did this. Now I run at 40-60 FPS constantly!! Hope this helps.

Nvidia control panel and go to Manage 3D settings and it should say preferred graphics processor' date=' click on the drop-down box and select High-Performance Nvidia processor[/quote']It already does and did so before. :)

I'm having a very similar issue, the game runs perfectly smoothly for maybe ten minutes or so but then it'll start to lag until it eventually becomes unplayable. I was getting the "out of memory" error until I told the game to stop using a custom texture pack and I've turned down as many graphical options as I can but still no dice. :(

I have the exact same problem. Game runs fine 50-60fps and after few minutes, regardless if I'm running around or standing still it starts spiking every 2 seconds. Tried reinstaling multiple times patching with mcpatcher and optifine to no avail. Though after the first time I've copied OptiFine_1.2.5_HD_MT_AA_A7 files to minecraft.jar I had no problems for like 3 days.

By the way,

- freeing up C drive space didn't help.

- changing texture packs (16x 32x 64x) does not make a difference.

- adding java.exe to nVidia 3D settings list and setting java to Full Performance dind't help.

- fresh install no difference.

- in my case, fps was more likely to start spiking after i jetpacked down my massive quarry witch then results in series of fps spikes.

I don't think it's a hardware problem, for me vanilia minecraft with 128x texture pack, far render distance, 90 FOV and fancy settings is running about 100-150 fps.

I've run out of ideas.

Your drivers maybe corrupted or have issues with them for those that use Nvidia go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us As for windows check other graphical properties. Also maybe look at clearing your RAM cache and in the launcher as well. Minimize graphical options, DO NOT use texture pack as they consume even more memory. Get rid of applications that are running alongside Tekkit, skype iTunes use a lot of memory. Upgrading your RAM on your computer is a good way of getting more out of it.