Odd SMP Crashes / Pipe Issues

battler23

Question

Launcher/pack Version: 3.0.3/3.0.4

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Version of Java: 1.7u4 (Latest)

Description of Problem: Multiple issues regarding the Item/Power teleporting pipes.

The first issue I tend to be having the most is connecting them, I can have them on the same frequencies and they do connect in SPP but in SMP they only connect within a radius of 150m.

The second issue that is occurring after using / right clicking the pipes is crashing, after using / right clicking 2-6 times on the same or different item / power teleporting pipes I usually experience a white screen that does not close untill I end process.

It would be great if someone knew a solution to this.

Error Messages: N/A

Link to pastebin of log: N/A

7 answers to this question

First up 150m is suspiciously close to the view distance by default on a server (10 chunks) so first question is are you placing teleport tethers (new name for chunkloading blocks) by the teleport pipes. The pipes themselves don't force a chunk to load. A teleport pipe (any sort) can only teleport to another loaded pipe.

Additionally for power teleport pipes they still have conductive loss IIRC, so there is a limit to how far you can shift power with them.

As far as the crash goes that happened in 2.1 because of a conflict over GUI numbers with a railcraft item (loader IIRC), could be a similar problem in 3.x but since my pipes haven't crashed at all yet I haven't really looked into it.

Thanks for the reply, and yes. I have placed 4 teleport tethers around the location of the quarry and pressed f9 to make sure it covered the land of it. as for the power I am only shifting 1 geo-thermal generator worth of power between the power teleporter and the quarry.

The crashes stopped after I completely uninstalled and reinstalled technic pack and then downloaded 3.0 and patched with 3.0.3, which is nice. But I havn't tried the old map I had with 3 quarries running, so I still do not know why they couldn't connect, or if I will crash still. if it happens again I'll update the error messages.

Edit: the error lines given to me are

buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportPower.requestEnergy(PipeTransportPower.java:203)

2012-05-30 21:35:21 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.additionalpipes.pipes.PipePowerTeleport.requestEnergy(PipePowerTeleport.java:235)

2012-05-30 21:35:21 [sEVERE]Unexpected exception

java.lang.StackOverflowError 

After sending out this error many times it then kicks the person whom was selecting that power pipe and then when they go to rejoin it sits at login for around 1 minute then freezes and they then time out.

Presumably teleport tethers aren't working to keep chunks loaded for you. Easy way to test would be to alter the view distance in your server proporties to 15 from 10 and see if you can teleport items over longer distances. You could also try using world anchors instead of tethers and see if that helps you teleport items.

As far as the error goes... pass. Was it a converted 2.1 world where the crashes were occuring?

I tested it by having my friend stand beside the quarry and keeping the chunks loaded as I was at home beside the the power supplier, we still had the issue and it continued to not work :/

I just recently started hosting when 3.0.3 came out, and when I updated to 3.0.4 I completely cleaned out the old server as I like to keep my updates superior.

I am having a similar problem. I am trying to transport oil using the Waterproof Teleport Pipe. When even I right click on the pipe, though, is when my client crashes. The server doesn't though.

*EDIT*

I'm sorry, I actually found the reason this happened... That's what I get for not looking around a whole lot before I post.