Mod pack based on Tekkit Lite

Mordritch

A few friends and I have a server which is basically Tekkit Lite with a few extra mods. With the old launcher, we could select Tekkit Lite and then provide a URL to a smallish .zip file with just the few extra mods we wanted to run.

With the new launcher, it seems you have to package all the mods together in a much bigger .zip file, I can't see a way to just extend Tekkit Lite.

The only way I could work out how to do this was to tediously get the appropriate files out of the Tekkit Lite install folder, then package it with my other mods and I foresee myself having to do this every time a new Tekkit Lite update is released.

Is there any way on the Technic Platform to have it extend an existing mod package so that I don't have to manually update all the Tekkit Lite mods anytime they bring an update?

Is there any way on the Technic Platform to have it extend an existing mod package so that I don't have to manually update all the Tekkit Lite mods anytime they bring an update?

Without creating a custom pack. Nope.

And what do you mean tediously, copy 4 folders, delete all but 1 file from 1 of those folders, add your extras, run it to be sure (and get the configs generated for set-up), package it and send out the link

As for having to do this every update, unless you are trying to run Latest versions over recommended versions I don't see much of an issue

Well, that answers my question, thank you for that.

And I never said it was hard, I said it was tedious :P

What I mean when I say it's tedious is this:

copy 4 folders, delete all but 1 file from 1 of those folders, add your extras, run it to be sure (and get the configs generated for set-up), package it and send out the link

And as someone who does software development for a living, I feel qualified to have this opinion :P

What would not be tedious is setting up a config file once only and from then on running a script or something which does all the packaging for me. Perhaps I will write one to do this for me :)

For me, anything more than one click is tedious :) It starts off as just a few steps, but over time the number of steps might grow, then you maybe forget one step the one time and you have to do a backup restore or something then your 30 minutes you wanted to kill in Minecraft changes to 30 minutes of fixing problems, if I wanted to spend the evening maintaining a software product, I would have hung around at work. However, if I have a little script which I run which automates almost all the work, then I get to spend more of my time doing what I enjoy.

However, we are each entitled to our own opinions and perhaps you get more satisfaction than I do at managing such kinds of problems.

Thanks for the warning and I am aware of the potential for ID conflicts, fortunately the number of extra mods we run on top of Tekkit Lite is very limited, so I don't anticipate it being too hard to manage.