Allocating more ram mac

johnlang1993

Question

is there a way to allocate more ram on a mac? i know with vanilla i just "open package contents" on the icon and do some stuff (ik what to do but im not explaining it here, unless for some reason you want me to) but theres no minecraft icon with technic, please let me know if that doesnt make sense ill try to explain better.

18 answers to this question

i changed both the 32 bit and 64 bit parameters to "java -Xincgc -Xmx4g -jar technic-launcher.jar" (no quotes) but it still says i only have 1gb for technic, i tried just the 64 bit one first (which is first in the list so i believe that means its used over the 32 bit), but that did nothing. do i have to have the filepath in there anywhere?

i changed both the 32 bit and 64 bit parameters to "java -Xincgc -Xmx4g -jar technic-launcher.jar" (no quotes) but it still says i only have 1gb for technic, i tried just the 64 bit one first (which is first in the list so i believe that means its used over the 32 bit), but that did nothing. do i have to have the filepath in there anywhere?

I'm pretty sure you don't need the whole filepath. This is kind of the end of my ability to help though. I don't use mac.

i dont think there is a clear option to change, i searched through stuff and found a file named pom.xml in that file i found a line that says <dictionaryFile>src/main/resources/Info.plist</dictionaryFile> and info.plist is the file that gets changed when you change how much ram is allocated in vanilla MC so i was wondering if any1 knew where /main/resources/info.plist is? i think that would be where to change to allocate more ram

The button is right next to the password box. It says "Options" on it. There should be a dropdown in the popup that lets you choose how much memory to allocate.

As I said, I don't have a Mac, but I've linked a screenshot of the thing I mean. Is it there for you, or is the Mac launcher different?

http://postimage.org/image/szjvq91qv/

You can in fact allocate more ram from within the launcher on a mac as well as a PC. It is literally the same since it's a Java program. It's in the Options. Just click the button. Did you not wonder about the options button and what it did?

is that working now? I'm still using the batch.

wow feel a little stupid i didnt see that, but yea that worked for the most part, i selected 4gb but its only using 3, no big deal still a major improvement

It doesn't set RAM usage as a min number, it sets it as a MAX number. Ideally it should never use anywhere close to your max of 4. In some cases setting more ram can be a bad thing, because the game wont garbage collect properly since it has more room to let shit build up. Then you eventually crap out because it finally hits the cap and tries to dump all at once. That's why you sometimes hear people saying they get better performance when they allocate less memory. MC is very much a game where you have to play around with the settings and see what works for you. It's different for everyone.