Steam + Lava buckets + Automation = How?

Jtegg007

Maybe this is so easy its flying over my head, or everyone just uses coal... idk.

The server I play on is on 2.1 (as in, techniclauncher -> Options -> Manually build selection -> 2.1.0|1.1). I have a quarry currently ran by 4 steam engines. I wanted to run pipes from chest full of buckets of lava, power the pipes with red stone engines, and have them deposited into the steam engine... But this doesn't happen, the steam engine spits the buckets out, they back up in the pipe until they're on the floor, etc...

Do I just need to hook another wood pipe up at the engine to extract the left over bucket? (servers down or I'd try this now that Ive thought of it). Or does everyone just use coal or something?? Ive googled A LOT and checked you tube, no tuts on how to set up steam engines with lava buckets automatically fed into them...

Thanks! -Justin

Don't sign your name. Also, I don't think that steam engines can accept lava, because it is a liquid fuel.

Yeah, you can use an iron engine (I can never remember what they're called) to burn lava if you want, it accepts lava, oil, or fuel. Just make sure you pump in water too to keep it from overheating.

If you have wooden pipes connected to the steam engines it will pull the empty buckets out, but I haven't found a way to pull all the empty buckets out without a few lava buckets, or empty buckets randomly falling out. I only was making a test to see if I could come up with a solution to your problem, it probably is quite possible if you have proper timing to distribute one bucket of lava to each engine and simultaneously pull the empty buckets out, and a timing mechanism that you set to do it all over again as soon as the engines would run out of "steam" from the lava. To be honest though, if you're going to be using steam engines, it would be best to use coal instead, charcoal if you can help it, it's worth less EMC, and is renewable. Hope that helps.