My technic launcher won't work

sen2311

I downloaded the Technic launcher a while ago and have only just got round to installing the modpacks i want to play.

I downloaded Tekkit classic, works fine. Downloaded Voltz works ok. I install sphax for it and then it says that it can't allocate enough memory.

I try to change this but I can't, until I found out why. I was running Java-32. My computer can run Java-64 because it's running Windows 7 pro 64bit. I change to allocated RAM to 2GB and attempt to start Voltz.

Now here's where the problem starts. Every time I try to load any modpack it does the initial loading thing go then it automatically goes back to the launcher start page. Can you please help me.

I can include a video if needed.

Edit: Here's a video 

Edited by sen2311

• Discord Moderator

Yes, you should install all your current Java installations first, then download and install the latest Java 7 64bit from java.com. Do not download Java 8, get Java 7.

You change how much memory is allocated in the Launcher by clicking the Settings/Gear icon in the top right of the Launcher.

Yes, you should install all your current Java installations first, then download and install the latest Java 7 64bit from java.com. Do not download Java 8, get Java 7.

You change how much memory is allocated in the Launcher by clicking the Settings/Gear icon in the top right of the Launcher.

I have heard that you need at least 4 gigs of RAM to allocate more memory to applications or programs, and i don't have 4. I am thinking of updating my ram in the near future, so do you think i should wait with allocating more memory to the launcher or doesn't it matter?

Well i'm actually not sure about my RAM, shift+ctrl+esc says that i only have 3.690 gigs of RAM but CPU-Z says that i do have 4. I obviously want to be carefull since i don't want my launcher to eat away resources that i need to run my operating system, because then my laptop would crash.

Edited by Sandermans123

• Discord Moderator

A good rule of thumb is to not allocate more than 4G or half your RAM to the launcher, whichever is smaller (i.e. if you have 16G of RAM don't allocate 8G). Your task manager reporting 3690 RAM instead of the full 4G is because some of your system memory is reserved for your integrated video card. This is not a problem and you should be safe allocating 2G or RAM to the launcher.

A good rule of thumb is to not allocate more than 4G or half your RAM to the launcher, whichever is smaller (i.e. if you have 16G of RAM don't allocate 8G). Your task manager reporting 3690 RAM instead of the full 4G is because some of your system memory is reserved for your integrated video card. This is not a problem and you should be safe allocating 2G or RAM to the launcher.

Alright, great, thanks for all the help