Please Help

I know that this does not belong in this forum, but for reasons unknown there is no Post Thread button on the SMP Bugs forum. Now to the issue at hand: When I run a server on my desktop I am able to connect to the server on that computer. However, I am unable to connect from my laptop, and my friends cannot connect either. I have tried both local connection and hamachi. As I understand, the Tekkit server is a modded version of bukkit. Bukkit servers and vanilla servers DO work when others attempt to connect to me. I would really like to play Tekkit with my friends, as it is an amazing mod pack. I know for sure it is not my world, because I started it on a multiplayer server. The server is run on a Windows 7 64-bit desktop. My laptop is the same. One last note, I am using the most recent version as of 6/28/2012, which is:

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.3

Server Version: 3.0.4

I would really appreciate help ASAP, although I know we are only human. Thanks again in advance, and I realize this is in the wrong forum, but I can't really control that.