Jobs plugin and Tekkit.

Hey guys,

So I've been having an issue with running any jobs plugin (Jobs & mcJobs) while having any sort of automation (Quarries, BlockBreakers, and the list goes on). Now several of the plugin authors say its an issue they cannot address, now Im curious IS there a fix for this? Getting automation working was difficult enough, with modify world and Towny installed. But the players are having a hard time obtaining currency, the only way using the /sell command offered by Essentials.

If you have any plugin that supports tekkit, or any other solution to this problem, which encourages players to mine, or gather resources or what not. Anyways that would be great..

Thanks,

MrWarhawk

I can see problems with this. You see, Tekkit is designed for automation. The entire idea of it is to make factories to do your work for you. With Jobs, the idea is specialization of labor. But in Tekkit, what labor? Mining is just a necessary start, and no longer something to continue throughout your time in a server. Why farm when you can automate it? The economy will become based around crafted goods, with factories mass producing anything you want.

Basically, if you are playing Tekkit right, you won't need Jobs at all. Each entrepreneur will create his/her own.

Our server also runs mcjobs. I don't have a fix in mind, but our players are making plenty of money so I thought I would share a few of the things we have done. That said, some of the limitations with these job plugins have been very disappointing and difficult to work around.

First, the major issue with either of the jobs plugin is their inability to work correctly with RP's microblocks. This was really limiting, and I was disappointed there was no meaningful way to pay people to engineer awesome things with redpower.

Another major issue is that machines like quarries and miners (etc) use [buildcraft] or [industrialcraft] to fire the BPE's so the players can't get paid when using those machines. This is a mixed bag-- I would like to see players payed to mine ores with miners but I think the volume quarries and fillers could handle would quickly imbalance things and leave the world full of giant ugly holes.

I added as many of the blocks and items as I could to existing jobs, but many of the IC2 items create errors on the console. Still, players get paid regardless. That creates many interesting crafting based pay opportunities for IC2 items and associated job roles.

The mixture of these types of issues has sort of pigeon-holed our community into several jobs (miner, builder, excavator, soldier). People experiment with the others, but I think ultimately settle on these ones for the majority of their income. Solidier is probably the most lucrative, as I increased the pay rates on it relative to the other jobs.

Overall this actually worked pretty well, and encourages people to build epic structures. You won't find many cobblestone structures on our server-- because of the pay tiers. It's to a players advantage to use the higher tier blocks, and they do! :)

The biggest thing about catering the jobs plugin to your server, is the economic value of a dollar. This was very challenging. On our server, $1 has a lot of purchasing power. Because of this, the pay rates on most jobs are very low (ie., 1 stone break=0.1 bucks). When you walk into our stores, you will find $8 will get you about 64 momerations-- enough food to keep you going for about a week (its zombie flesh-- don't tell anyone!). This is probably the biggest consideration you will have to making the jobs plugin work... how much buying power your dollar will have.

I have other suggestions and tips on how we control the buying power of a 'momebuck', but this would be a very long post if I blurbed it all out so I'll leave you with that for now.

Good luck!

I understand that. And thats the reason I need another way for the players to MAKE money. Like on my server a Town costs 5000, now with jobs, that would have been a good 3-4 hours of straight mining, and that would have helped start the players with a town and the materials needed to build. But now there is no real way for the to make money, so Im just wondering what could/should I do to make a system to allow players to make money. It doesn't have to be work, but the /sell command seems to be a lame temporary solution.

edit: antikas I have tried that but how did you fix the issues with the Quarries and what not, because with me I get errors when the mcjobs tries to issue the check to the quarry and I get a whole spew of errors.

Re: Kyonkicchi's point:

Automation and mcjobs actually work well together economically. Once players get automation happening, they are usually in a position to open shops in our server mall-- the product of their automation is reflected in their selling power in these shops. This fills the demands the playerbase has for what they feel are startup materials and machines, and contributes to a more service based economic model (in lieue of the lack of pay to run quarries that I was talking about earlier).

@MrWarHawk

You can't fix the issue-- quarries break block as the player [buildcraft]

So like I said, those kinds of machines and the excess resources players aquire end up generating revenue through the mall. We run a supply and demand market. We don't spawn anything... so that gives players huge opportunities to sell excess stuff they accumulate.

Our corporate store is also supply/demand based. But really, the players are making it redundant with their mall shops and trading.

No... The issue is I CANT run both [buildCraft], [RedPower] as fakeplayers and have ANY job plugin installed. Everytime a chunk is loading with Redpower, or BuildCraft or some IC2 Machine that acts as a fakeplayer I get a errors, and the server isn't playable. Thats why I posted this, because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, because I have read that mcJobs, and Jobs are both incompatible with Tekkit. The only way to fix it is some crazy editing in the .jar. So can someone guide me in the right direction?

Hmm, I use an older version of mcjobs-- 2.6.6 to be exact. I remember running into issues with vault with later versions so I switched back. Maybe this issue you are experiencing relates to the newer versions.

I don't have the problem you are describing. No issues at all between mcjobs and the mods. But then, I have no idea how your server is configured... I'd start with trying an older version first.

Also use the chestshops plugin-- nevermind essentials /sell! Let players run their own shops! And run a server shop, and give it its own bank account (BOSEconomy)-- then give it cash. Make some things lucrative for players to sell (like uranium) and they will make plenty of money.

This is probably related to the issue itsachoptree had with tree assist. http://www.technicpack.net/forums/threads/help-with-bukkit-plugin-in-tekkit.10745/

Basically, they changed a bit of bukkit that only seems to affect mods, so any plugins made after the change crash things if they don't add a new bit of code.

Use an old version like antikas suggests, or ask the server ops of the many servers that do run it perfectly fine.

So i've got mcjobs now installed. v 2.6.6 like you suggested, It works. but only for blockbreaking not for Crafting so I'm wondering why that would happen, that now the BlockBreaking Event is being passed to mcjobs fine, but Crafting Events are causing errors. Hmm.

I get crafting errors with the IC2 items, but not with vanilla objects. Let me know if you get errors for one, or both. I believe people still get paid but on my server no one uses that job role as a source of income-- i find my community pigeon-holed into mining, building, and soldiering. Still, that encourages some pretty big/cool builds and makes for a pretty nice server.

I have no solution to the errors per se, but my work around was to open up player shops in a mall and create an open market to sell their wares using the chestshops plugin. So instead of getting paid to make the objects, they get paid to sell them.