Launcher Hangs at Splash Screen on Loadup - SOLVED (WORKAROUND)

BobT36

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Java Version: jre-7u5-windows-x64 & jre-7u5-windows-i586

Antivirus Program: Norton Internet Security 2012

Description of Problem:

Upon opening the Technic Launcher, it hangs at the Splash Screen, after downloading content. No error messages are displayed. This likely happened after updating to the most recent Java version. Strangely it works fine on my other machine which is Windows 7 Professional x64, even with the latest Java, and the exact same version of Norton.

Have tried disabling Norton's Antivirus and Smart Firewall, didn't make any difference. Also set it to Full Allow on Technic's .exe. Fully deleted the .TechnicLauncher folder, re-downloaded the launcher .exe, reinstalled both Java Versions (32 bit, then 64 bit), and also tried the .jar file in the .TechnicLauncher folder, still no joy.

Vanilla Minecraft Standalone seems to work fine, it is just the Technic launcher that's failing. I've seen a lot of threads about this lately and presume it is something to do with the latest Java, but I'm unsure. Any suggestions?

Error Messages:

None

Error Log:

[sEVERE] ------------------------------------------

[20:43:09] [sEVERE] Launcher is starting....

[20:43:09] [sEVERE] Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[20:43:09] [sEVERE] Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[20:43:09] [sEVERE] Java VM: '1.7.0_05-b06'

[20:43:09] [sEVERE] OS Version: '6.1'

[20:43:09] [sEVERE] Is 64-bit: 'true'

[20:43:18] [sEVERE] [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/mirrors.yml'.

[20:43:19] [sEVERE] Exception in thread "main"

[20:43:19] [sEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException

[20:43:19] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResource (ModPackListYML.java:186)

[20:43:19]  [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData (LoginForm.java:363)

[20:43:19]  [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init (LoginForm.java:133)

[20:43:19]  [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main (Main.java:194)

15 answers to this question

Ok got it working, however this is quite a patch job and isn't really a final solution...

I THINK the problem is due to JavaR7 on THAT machine having problems running minecraft with IPv6 (Which JavaR7 apparently uses by default), so I used something I found while searching to force it back to IPv4, however this still doesn't work UNLESS I tell it to create the "rtemp" folder in .TechnicLauncher before running it. It is also strange in that my main machine has NO problem and doesn't need this tweak, despite the same Java version etc. Very wierd... (Also this was NOTHING to do with Norton btw as I've seen suggested a lot around here. The latest versions of Norton arn't too bad tbh, the reputation it has from much older variations in the past is unfounded nowdays.).

Here's what I did:

- Added "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;" to the Path Environment Variable. (Didn't seem to make any difference).

- Created a .bat file called "TechnicLauncher.bat" with the following code:

@echo off

mkdir %APPDATA%\.techniclauncher\rtemp

"C:\program files\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx1G -jar %APPDATA%\.techniclauncher\technic-launcher.jar

This seems to run it fine. However if I tell it not to run the line that creates the rtemp folder, it opens the launcher ok, but then either won't load minecraft properly (Can't update), or says there's an update every single time (when there isn't). It also complains about the Tumblr feed being down, and won't show my skin. With the rtemp folder being created first, works fine. :S

I then created a .vbs file, with the following code:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Program Files\Minecraft\TechnicLauncher.bat" & Chr(34), 0

Set WshShell = Nothing

(You may need to alter the file path in the middle line if you have your .bat saved to a different location, and/or with a different name).

This allowed me to create a Shortcut to the .bat for my desktop or start menu, which I could then go into Properties, Change Icon, and point it to Minecraft.exe or TechnicLauncher.exe to use whichever icon. Running this then hides the CommandPrompt window, so you can't really tell its using this workaround.

Obviously this will break when we upgrade to JavaR8 in future (due to the hard coded Java path), and still feels like a patch job, so I won't class this as fully solved yet, however its a bit of extra info for you to cross reference, and I hope it helps other people's problems in the meantime! :)

I presume this would require a fix be put into an update of TechnicLauncher or even Minecraft itself to accomodate for this wierdness with Java? Or maybe even wait for a new Java version that may address it? I have no idea.

I tried all of that and all it did was a make a folder...I may have done the path enviroment variable wrong though cause i dont really understand it. I also think it might be due to the fact that I have the TechnicLauncher.exe in the wrong place. It's in my downloads folder and I also tried it in the .techniclauncher folder. neither are working. I have the .jar in there as well and that is sort of working.

Shouldn't matter where you put either the TechnicLauncher.exe or the .bat really though. The placement only matters if you're using the .vbs so it hides all the background gubbins.

Try getting it working just with the .bat first. It should create a rtemp folder in .TechnicLauncher, and then it should run the actual launcher. Are you getting any errors or anything else?

it doesnt create the folder in .TechnicLauncher exactly. It creates the path C:\Users\My Laptop\Documents\Laptop\AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\rtemp instead. im going to add the .bat to the .TechnicLauncher folder in appdata and see if that works

Yeah it creates the Rtemp folder, then the launcher must remove it when it actually runs. (I've no idea of the technicalities of all this btw, it is just how I got things working for me).

Moving the .bat won't have any effect as the paths are completely hard coded. You are using Java R7 yes? Also how do you mean it creates the path? That folder path looks correct and IS where %appdata% looks at.

Either ways your problems may be different to mine. I think mine was specifically to do with the new version of Java just on that other machine, as its all fine on my main (newer) one.

I am using java R7. This is a week old computer and I have unistalled and reinstalled Java multiple times to make sure im not doing something stupid and wrong. When I say it creates the path I mean it literally creates new folders in what ever folder the .bat is in so if I have the .bat in documents that path or all those folders are placed in the documents folder instead of the .techniclauncher in the %appdata% folder http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/issueo.png/

Hello, I've got the exact same problem and I've done what you said and I have the .vbs path working fine but the .bat only opens and closes a cmd window, otherwise noting. I have also toyed around a little by changing the pathway and some stuff but it still only opens and closes a cmd window :( help?