Dodgy Terrain Generation?!

Hello, First post round here, so tell me if I do something wrong.

Had a map going on my server for a little while now, and was flying about and found a giant Volcano. Problem is that it was almost a perfect rectangle from above (all but 1 of the sides was a shear vertical wall). Also the top looked like it had been flattened..

Pictures (In game and a dynmap (Link Here) screen shot):

PzJY6.jpg

4fZSQ.png

If the Pictures are broken, click here.. http://imgur.com/a/Ulmfr#0

So yeah, is this a fault of Tekkit, or of me setting up the server.

Cheers, Ant.

Well here is the deal.

That is a redpower volcano and the way it generates is clearly a little wonky. It has something to do with a lack of syncronization between minecraft terrain generation and redpower world item generation. So what happened here was a volcano was spawned on this chunk before minecraft generated the chunks around it. Then when you got closer, those other chunks generated in Minecraft, but since the volcano already generated, it didn't spill over to the other chunks since they hadn't existed yet.

Make sense?

Well here is the deal.

That is a redpower volcano and the way it generates is clearly a little wonky. It has something to do with a lack of syncronization between minecraft terrain generation and redpower world item generation. So what happened here was a volcano was spawned on this chunk before minecraft generated the chunks around it. Then when you got closer, those other chunks generated in Minecraft, but since the volcano already generated, it didn't spill over to the other chunks since they hadn't existed yet.

Make sense?

Best (and pretty much only) explanation I've ever read, thanks!

Is there any way to stop this? .. Or will that require a redpower change?

Well last time I heard, Eloraam fixed volcanos so they wouldn't generate flat anymore, but I don't think this particular issue has been resolved and to be frankly honest with you, short of forcing minecraft to generate the surrounding chunks when a volcano is formed (I'm not a java coder, I have no freakin' clue if that's possible) I don't see how this particular issue can be fixed.

Nope, I've still seen the odd flat volcano, and I suppose that (unfortunately) might be the case.. Well anyway I'm going to leave this thread for others to read your decent explanation, but feel free to continue it if you have any more detailed knowledge!

Nope, I've still seen the odd flat volcano, and I suppose that (unfortunately) might be the case.. Well anyway I'm going to leave this thread for others to read your decent explanation, but feel free to continue it if you have any more detailed knowledge!

Well, then I guess nothing got fixed. With any luck, it'll be resolved in the next redpower update.