No 100% PvP Servers

Tekkit adds an immense ammount of items into Minecraft; some tools, some machine, and some weapons and armour amoungst other things, but what I don't understand is why there are no 100% PvP servers, they could use /kit with items like jetpacks, mining lasers (stuck to one setting) and alot of other things, there are plenty of these type of servers in Vanilla, so why not Tekkit, if I'm making a mistake and there are could someone leave the IP.

a number of warps around the world u can fight a around the warps but disable /kit within spawn since that wud be the only way to get weapons with no craftin and there is no need for huge distructive weapons just musket blunderbuss stuff like that.

No, the point is that there are like 40 different ways to destroy things in tekkit that are NOT based on a player breaking blocks (like most protection plugins protect against), and that can be done from long range (thus it doesnt help to disable crafting in one small area)

For example:

1) Firing mining lasers into spawn

2) Sending a remote mining turtle in

3) Sending in frame motors with block breakers

4) Setting off nukes just outside

5) If #1 doesn't work, then you can fire mining lasers from deployers

6) Cannons I'm pretty sure don't keep track of who fired them.

7) Any of the dozen or so rings and lenses and catalysts and crap from EE that destroy things

8) Terraformers

9) Etc. etc.

Having pvp off means most people have no incentive to do these things near spawn or similar places. So accidents don't happen as much.

The separate world, as mentioned in the above post, is probably the best way.

If you've got all the answers go make one? I'm not understanding if you're trying to find a server or just raising a question. There's decent reasons why no one has created a free-for-all server. The reasons listed above are part of it.

Again, I haven't personally searched for what you're looking for. Go to the server threads and search the term "Anarchy" there may be one you like.

I know I intend on adding in an anarchy map or two, but overall my server will stay survival-based and the core functionality of my survival worlds take priority over configuring any thing else.

Yes, but that would mean disabling the use of a wide variety of PvP weapons. Those weapons do not care about Bukkit protections.

You do know you can turn on invulnerability on in a WorldGuard region, right? Not only that, but the nice forked version here prevents abuse from a wide variety of Tekkit items. A spawn/WG area should be the only sanctuary on a true PvP server. If this is indeed the case (like it is on our server), then no other plugin out there needs to detect weapons to prevent illegal ganking in said spawn. Overall, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Running a PvP server does not equate to having a griefed spawn.

No, the point is that there are like 40 different ways to destroy things in tekkit that are NOT based on a player breaking blocks (like most protection plugins protect against), and that can be done from long range (thus it doesnt help to disable crafting in one small area)

For example:

1) Firing mining lasers into spawn

2) Sending a remote mining turtle in

3) Sending in frame motors with block breakers

4) Setting off nukes just outside

5) If #1 doesn't work, then you can fire mining lasers from deployers

6) Cannons I'm pretty sure don't keep track of who fired them.

7) Any of the dozen or so rings and lenses and catalysts and crap from EE that destroy things

8) Terraformers

9) Etc. etc.

Having pvp off means most people have no incentive to do these things near spawn or similar places. So accidents don't happen as much.

The separate world, as mentioned in the above post, is probably the best way.

First of all, all of your mods (IC, BC, RP, etc) better be using fakeusers. Second of all:

1.) Enable invulnerability in WorldGuard

2.) Unless you op ComputerCraft (you should be shot on sight for this), how is it going to grief inside protections?

3.) See #2

4.) Disable TNT explosions in your region

5.) See #1

6.) This is true, nor does it log who placed them, but see #1

7.) Catalysts are easily logged. They show the player who placed them as the one destroying the blocks (with that excellent EE patch found on these forums). Ban your rings.

8.) Ban terraformer. It isn't logged.

Overall, most of that stuff is EASILY blocked. If someone wants to grief in the wild with these techniques then that's where you have to actually step in and be a Moderator/Admin/Whatever and clean it up and issue a banhammer or six. We don't have to worry about PvP in the wild...because it's a PvP server. Who cares if you are hit with a throwing knife or a blunderbluss? Welcome to the server!

Anyway, I PM'd the op earlier. Did you get a chance to sign on?

First of all, all of your mods (IC, BC, RP, etc) better be using fakeusers. Second of all:

Maybe. I've never heard of any such thing as an IC fakeplayer, for instance.

It is certainly not NECESSARY for a mod to use a fakeplayer to manipulate the world. IC could potentially just directly access the world file and place mining pipes and remove ores, etc., using basic bukkit block manipulation apis (since I believe tekkit uses bukkit ported versions of these things).

Fakeplayers are simply a nice, convenient feature that some mods add to allow you to make fancier permissions, basically. I'm not aware of any action in game that would actually necessitate them for functional reasons beyond permissions convenience.

Thus, it is an open question which mods do or do not use fakeplayers (I know redpower and Buildcraft do, I don't know one way or the other about the rest. I think CC does, yes). If anybody has a comprehensive list, please post it. Those which might NOT use fakeplayers will not necessarily be protected by WorldGuard. It's a fun fun feature of bukkit that it is actually not possible for one plugin to 100% of the time block the actions of another plugin. Even if you "cancel" an event, it still gets passed along to other plugins, and unless they are explicitly coded to check for canceled events, they will ignore your cancellation.

VoxelSniper, for instance, routinely is able to allow people to snipe blocks even in Worldguarded areas. Things like industrialcraft or EE may very well allow the same thing.

1.) Enable invulnerability in WorldGuard

2.) Unless you op ComputerCraft (you should be shot on sight for this), how is it going to grief inside protections?

3.) See #2

4.) Disable TNT explosions in your region

5.) See #1

6.) This is true, nor does it log who placed them, but see #1

7.) Catalysts are easily logged. They show the player who placed them as the one destroying the blocks (with that excellent EE patch found on these forums). Ban your rings.

8.) Ban terraformer. It isn't logged.

Thus,

1) I'm not sure this will help. Has it been tested/confirmed?

4) I'm not sure this will help, either. Nukes may or may not have been properly coded as some sort of sub-class of TNT, and they may or may not use the same events. Has this actually been tested/confirmed?

5) If 1 doesnt work, then this is still a problem.

6) Depends whether or not the Balkon's weapons mods properly listens for event cancellations or not, and if it uses TNT explosions, or some custom block changing algorithm. If it doesn't, then there is nothing WG can do to stop it.

7 & 8) Banning these items will work (maybe - there is still the issue of crafting with a philosopher's stone, crafting with auto crafting tables 1 or 2, with project tables, etc., and deploying them with deployers, which may allow you to get around these things if you didn't properly stop deployers from doing things as in #1). However, banning half of the interesting items in game, especially rings which are often used for PVP, is not a very good way to start off your PVP server...

1.) Yes. Mining lasers, knifes, whatever. None of it works.

4.) It works, try it out. If any of the blast hits the region, the nuke is canceled out. We use LogBlock and it comes through as TNT. I cannot speak for any other block logging plugin except CoreProtect. It works too but if you don't use MySQL it had some serious bugs with nuke rollbacks.

5.) It does =p

6.) Again, if you're invulnerable no plugin needs to catch the event (it doesn't go through bukkit anyway). You can disable the cannon block damage in the config. We did this since it is not logged.

7.) Correct, but since you use fakeusers they cannot place the items since they come through as Builder rank (or whatever you use). We ban all rings, infernal armor, and a few other things and generally hold over 100 users. The only real complaint is from Swiftowl's which I'll probably allow soon.

If you need to ban some items to save face, then do it. I really don't give 2 rips if a guy leaves our server because he can't use an Infernal chest (it's not logged) or use a philospher's stone to interact (also not logged). I'd rather keep my map and users happy. If you're worried about banning those, what, 7 items then I don't know what to tell you. I know these methods work because we've been exploited on them, we patched what we could, and moved on. The huge advantage to having every mod use fakeplayers is clearly the rollback. You could easily rollback something like a quarry in a LogBlock selection (regen can be nasty if you've ever played with it much - especially on volcanoes).

As far as I know, there are these fakeusers:

[industrialCraft]

[ComputerCraft]

[buildCraft]

[RedPower]

You need to toggle them all on in their respective configurations. I know BC's is off by default but I don't remember on the rest.

I also recommend you configure turtles like this:

turtle_fakeplayer_dologin=true

turtle_fakeplayer_method=one

Otherwise if you have some greeting plugin, it will see each turtle as a new user and it becomes annoying very quick. Also, it could bloat your user logs. A single ComputerCraft is good enough.

ppl keep metioning items such as nukes and terraformers, but there wudn't be any on 100% pvp server as most wud use /kit and that wud supply the weapons and armour no need to mine and with block breaking off it would be impossible try battle for conwy castle or rival kingdoms they are the vanilla verison of this idea

did that straight away join a faction called underdogs and they just kicked 10 mins later

Yes, it's a brutal map. We have over 35 pages of Factions to join though, I am sure you can find another.

If you are looking for wars and stuff, we have that too. Think of MobArena but pvp team wars where you capture towers and forts. We custom coded this plugin and you will surely have fun. You are also awarded money for your efforts! Log on and ask someone to start a war.

We are actually in the process of automating this on another server too so you can war 24/7.