Taint

Gigabitten

You likely just started in a chunk with naturally high Taint levels--the teleportation seal was likely the last straw that pushed things to tip over.

If you've got boatloads (READ: three or four FULL alchemical bags/chests' worth) of cobble and/or wood planks, you could try to wall off the Taint to prevent it from spreading...make sure you get it all underwater, and make the wall 2 or 3 blocks thick when you're on a slope--ANY exposed surface of a block touching Taint could allow the infection to "jump" the barrier. Otherwise, I'd advise you to pack up your stuff and relocate--preferably somewhere far enough away that the Tainted chunks will unload from memory, as Taint can't spread in unloaded chunks. ;)

bah, quitters pack up and leave....winners go on to battle the taint back and WIN!!!

Winners go outside the Tainted area to gather supplies before Tainted Creepers wipe out their house and all their stuff. :P But I agree, having a Taint zone penned up and under control can be VERY fun. >:D

Anyhow, on-topic, I believe that YES Taint can infect Bedrock.