Can not find server when searching for external IP, all ports correct!

Petomatick

Hi and hello people. The case is such that I own my very own little home-server, which I have turned on for 24/7 hosting a minecraft server for my friends. Recently we also wanted to expand to a tekkit server, which as you probably figured became quite a problem.

Being a server/network administrator for atleast 20 different games over the last five years I do indeed know a little about hosting, and I did change the port in the config file to another than 25565 to let the minecraft be in peace and harmony whilst I changed the Tekkit port to 25585. I opened the ports inside the router, and did exactly everything you'd do when configuring the network with any server. No, I could not find it when trying to find it through external IP and neither could my friend. I tried connecting to the internal ip and it went all good. Though, only I could connect.

Trying with Hamachi we found just what most would do when hosting with hamachi. It worked flawlessly but it was slow enough to send me to a psyhiatrist. But it worked somehow.

Its just like there was some configuration command similar to the "sv_lan" that srcds servers have.

It's giving me a headache and I've litteraly spent about three and a half hours trying to fix this.

I was first sceptical when I did what you said, but even though I'd already done it once before, this time it went flawlessly after removing the config file. I could connect normaly through port 25565. Confused about this stunning result, I tried starting the Bukkit server on 25585 and it still wouldn't work. Tried running on 24465 and it wouldn't work. Even tried running on 25566, a port that was configured in the same time I configured 25565, by using 25565-25566 on all the rules I made, and it still did not work. Just as if java was set to only work on 25565. I might've done a novice error, but I certainly can't find where and how?!

Router is set up, firewall is set up, config file is set up, I use no anti-virus and yeah, thats basiclly it, mostly.

I know virtually nothing about the specifics of opening ports, but it seems fairly obvious that you've missed something somewhere in between minecraft and the internet. Maybe you have 2 firewalls, like a commercial one and a windows one or something? I really strongly doubt it is minecraft. Minecraft is pretty dumb. It really is just pretty much writing the ip in the config, as far as it is concerned.

I know virtually nothing about the specifics of opening ports, but it seems fairly obvious that you've missed something somewhere in between minecraft and the internet. Maybe you have 2 firewalls, like a commercial one and a windows one or something? I really strongly doubt it is minecraft. Minecraft is pretty dumb. It really is just pretty much writing the ip in the config, as far as it is concerned.

I tried turning off the windows firewall and I have no commercial ones eighter, although I'm starting to think that my first router might be faultly configured tbh, since I'm connected to a second router which might not have port forwarding from the first one.

After your ip are you putting the port? Like yourip:25585 ?

Of course I am.

Yup, so to people with the same problem as I do.

The reason that I could not connect to any other port was because of the first router I have, which had been configured long time ago to allow 25565 to the 192.168.0.100 ip (which once upon a time was my computers internal IP) had kept this setting when it did a DHCP release and by such had been perfectly timed to give the second router the 192.168.0.100 ip, which I had not noticed any change of, because I probably didn't think about it at that time and since it made no trouble installing the second router. So 25565 was forwarded perfectly whilst 25566 was not.

Reminder to self: Check all your routers.