Get item from chest

Zyme

Having a blast with Tekkit and moving onto some more advanced stuff.

I have a warehouse that has automatic sorting with input items into a chest. But I also want to retrieve items. Is there any way I could have one location, tell the system to get me 10 coal stacks from chest X?

Another question related to the warehouse. Is it possible to get computercraft with a monitor to tell me how many stacks of X is in the warehouse? For example I want to know how much coal the warehouse has in total (multiple chests). That would save me time running through all the floors, it's quite big.

Yes and you've more or less done it. However there is a bug with the retrievers where if you have two retrievers pulling the same item from the same source, it'll just take the closest route, even though it was called by a retriever farther away. It sort of makes having a centralized resource area difficult in that respect.

Now for the second part, I don't think you need computercraft to do a display for you. You can use the Nuclear Control mod that's included in Tekkit to have an industrial display panel show you that. It involves building a sensor kit and placing the resulting card in the monitor. It's very cool. Now, I haven't personally played with what you're talking about, I've only messed around with using it to tell me the status of my MFSU's.

Thanks for reply.

I checked out the retriever which was very cool. However, lets say I want to retrieve 64 diamonds but I do not have 64 diamonds on me to put in the retriever. How would this be possible? I know I could put 1 in and press the button 64 times. But there must be a better way to tell it the amount.

Nuclear control monitors tell you about your nuclear reactor...

He clearly said he wanted to know how much coal he had in chests, which has nothing to do with nuclear reactors. And which, incidentally, is a perfect job for computercraft monitors. Just look into the monitor API for commands for how to place the cursor in different places and clear the monitor and write things, etc.

As far as the computer knowing how much coal you have, you either need to figure out ccSensors (very difficult and buggy), or have item detectors from redpower count every piece as it comes and goes to keep track.

Nuclear control monitors tell you about your nuclear reactor...

He clearly said he wanted to know how much coal he had in chests, which has nothing to do with nuclear reactors. And which, incidentally, is a perfect job for computercraft monitors. Just look into the monitor API for commands for how to place the cursor in different places and clear the monitor and write things, etc.

As far as the computer knowing how much coal you have, you either need to figure out ccSensors (very difficult and buggy), or have item detectors from redpower count every piece as it comes and goes to keep track.

Those monitors can do more than just mess around with nuclear control. They can also monitor storage devices stats and, from what I've been told, can also tell you the fill percentage of a container.

Thanks for reply.

I checked out the retriever which was very cool. However, lets say I want to retrieve 64 diamonds but I do not have 64 diamonds on me to put in the retriever. How would this be possible? I know I could put 1 in and press the button 64 times. But there must be a better way to tell it the amount.

Well then there is a problem with this setup other than the technical aspects. If you don't have 64 diamonds to stick in the retriever, what is the point of this machine if there aren't going to be a large surplus of diamonds to pull from?

Hm, okay. http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Industrial_Information_Panel <--page only mentions nuclear reactors and batteries as valid targets, but I hope you are right about the storage containers. That would be really cool and useful. For example "passwords" consisting of a certain pattern of items in a chest or all kinds of fun things beyond just sorting facilities. Will give it a try for sure.

As for the 64 diamonds, Zyme, you could just request one diamond, 64 times... With timers, counters, CC computers, etc., whatever.

Hm, okay. http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Industrial_Information_Panel <--page only mentions nuclear reactors and batteries as valid targets, but I hope you are right about the storage containers. That would be really cool and useful. For example "passwords" consisting of a certain pattern of items in a chest or all kinds of fun things beyond just sorting facilities. Will give it a try for sure.

If you throw a time card in to it, you will get a clock. ;)

Well then there is a problem with this setup other than the technical aspects. If you don't have 64 diamonds to stick in the retriever, what is the point of this machine if there aren't going to be a large surplus of diamonds to pull from?

Because the purpose of a storage facility is to avoid carrying around with every item 64 stack in the inventory. If I need 200 items, 64 of each in the inventory to get the other items it defeats the entire purpose.

You still need to have the resources in the retriever to tell it what to pull. It doesn't just magically know.

So if you want that retriever to pull a stack of diamonds, then you throw that stack in the retriever and forget about it. So when your machine runs, it'll pull that exact amount of whatever everytime it gets a redstone pulse.