Had a problem, fixed it. But can someone explain it.

count_zero99uk

Hi all,

Loaded the launcher up today, got a message saying Spoutcraft had an update, let it do its thing. As an asside i thought it said Sprout ?

Anyway reloaded it opened Tekkit to test some bits before using them in my friends an my server. However it said that only 3 mods were loaded, i found this was a prob after i went in and the compcraft stuff id put there earlyer had dissapered.

After some digging round i found out that i had to delete the .techitlauncher dir from the %appdata% (sorry i cant recall exactly what it was called but it was something like that).

It now works fine.

What im wondering is what happened, what did i fix by making it reinstall everything. And will I have to do this everytime there is some kind of update?

Actually Nolz, knowing what caused the problem is very important.

Think of it this way, say you had a deadly food allergy but you don't know what it is. If you accedentally eat that food as a part of a large meal and need to go to the hospital they will likely be able to help you. You had a problem and fixed it. But since you don't know what caused it, next time you go to eat a meal the same thing might happen and you need to go back to the hospital or if you are unlucky, you won't get there in time and you will die.

Actually Nolz, knowing what caused the problem is very important.

Think of it this way, say you had a deadly food allergy but you don't know what it is. If you accedentally eat that food as a part of a large meal and need to go to the hospital they will likely be able to help you. You had a problem and fixed it. But since you don't know what caused it, next time you go to eat a meal the same thing might happen and you need to go back to the hospital or if you are unlucky, you won't get there in time and you will die.

Moral : Bugs with the Technic pack can KILL you.

Moral : Bugs with the Technic pack can KILL you.

Only if you don't know what caused them...

OP: What likely happened was that when you updated the pack, something was likely interfering with the download (could have been your AV, firewall or what have you) and you got a corrupted download. By deleting and reinstalling, you allowed the files to correctly download and give you a complete launcher and modpack. As for whether this will happen every time, I doubt it.