Technic logo freezes in middle of screen and doesn't open

zachattach96

Question

Launcher Version: 7.2

Operating System: Windows Ultimate x64 bit

Java Version: Java 7 x64 bit

Antivirus Program: AVG 2013

Description of Problem:

I open the Technic launcher, the download bar comes up, downloads the files then when the logo pops up in the middle of the screen it freezes and just stays there. The only way I can get the logo to go away is if I close it down in task manager. I've tried disabling my firewall and it still doesn't work.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	------------------------------------------

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	Launcher is starting....

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	Java VM: '1.7.0_07-b11'

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	OS Version: '6.1'

[15:01:36] [sEVERE]	Is 64-bit: 'true'

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]	[info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/mirrors.yml'.

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]	Exception in thread "main" 

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]	java.lang.NullPointerException

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResources(ModPackListYML.java:186)

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:363)

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[15:01:37] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:194)

17 answers to this question

The same thing happened to me and i fixed it.

I uninstalled a spyware program called "RelevantKnowledge" by how you would normally uninstall a program through the

control panel > uninstall a program

and then just look for the program and uninstall it.

The same thing happened to me and i fixed it.

I uninstalled a spyware program called "RelevantKnowledge" by how you would normally uninstall a program through the

control panel > uninstall a program

and then just look for the program and uninstall it.

Well, I'm glad you got rid of your virus, but I think the rest of us here are virus free. Good job Web Noob. *thumbsup*

Well, I'm glad you got rid of your virus, but I think the rest of us here are virus free. Good job Web Noob. *thumbsup*

Actually, this problem is more comman that you think. I have seen about 5 people on these forums with this exact program that was causing issues.

Don't belittle the guy who managed to fix his problem and then posted his fix for it here.

It happened to me, i managed to fix it, i suggested a fix. Isn't that what you're meant to do?

It happened to me, i managed to fix it, i suggested a fix. Isn't that what you're meant to do?

He was being a bag of dicks don't listen to him. Thanks for posting your fix I have seen quite a few people with this same issue that was solved by deleting this file :)

I'm really struggling guys. I have tried everything you have said but to no avail. please help me!

I'm having the same problem, except I've never used AVG, i'm using MSE.

Then make your own bug report

Did you ever do what I said? Downgrade to jre6. It is natively a little buggier, but it is better than no tekkit.

Stop doing this. You aren't helping. Downgrading your Java will likely cause more problems than it solves.

I sort of did Jorcer, in fact, you helped me fix it, remember? That was an old post.

In line with fixing this problem, try turning off your firewall as you go in, or if you are advanced technically check your firewall logs and whitelist the IP address that technic contacts during startup. My problem was ZoneAlarm silently blocking the request it was sending, causing the program to hang while waiting for a reply from the server.

I sort of did Jorcer, in fact, you helped me fix it, remember? That was an old post.

In line with fixing this problem, try turning off your firewall as you go in, or if you are advanced technically check your firewall logs and whitelist the IP address that technic contacts during startup. My problem was ZoneAlarm silently blocking the request it was sending, causing the program to hang while waiting for a reply from the server.

Your name is familiar. Thanks for posting your solution here.

Okay, I'm a java programmer, so I'm going to explain why downgrading to java 6 is a bad idea, and some possible reasons why the launcher isn't working for java 7.

Most Minecraft mods are coded in java 7 (as it is the version of java that is used by the Forge API and MCP). As time progresses, there will be fewer and fewer mods that are coded in java 6. As these mods switch to java 7, you are going to get more and more problems with using java 6. There are already problems that are encountered by using java 6, as certain functions of mods require java 7. Eventually, it will get to the point where you are unable to play tekkit/technic/any form of modded Minecraft.

The current version of the .exe launcher has several problems, with most of them being fixed by using the .jar launcher instead. All the .exe launcher does is launch the .jar launcher, which is a source of some confusion. My guess as to why the .exe (a windows executable) won't run the .jar (a java executable) is that there is an issue with the way windows tells java to run. This issue isn't experienced by java 6 users, leading me to believe that there is a compatibility issue between windows and java, with the source most likely being windows.

The reason why your launcher wouldn't work in this case was a firewall blocking you from downloading the correct files from technicpack.net. The easy solution to this problem was to disable the firewall.