When I try to downgrade to 2.1.0 I get update failed

Hades1977

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows 7

Java Version: 7

Antivirus Program: avast

Description of Problem:

When I try to downgrade to 2.1.0 and it starts downloading minecraft.jar it gets to around 90-05% and says update failed. I have tried disabling my firewall, turned off avg, then actually uninstalled avg and it still didnt work so I installed avast (I hear its better). I've also ran as admin but still no luck. If anyone can help me I will love you forever! lool or just link me to tekkit 2.1.0 files Instead of finding an actual solution to the problem. Either way Thank You!

Error Messages:

Update Failed!!!

Error Log:

It didnt let me put it cause it wasnt under 50k words? 

Oh wow Okay I read the rules, I apologize for not reading the rules, especiallysince you guys have some rules that differ from other fourms. Sorry, but I am still looking for help with my issue so if anyone that can help sees this please comment!

*Edit* Also for anyone trying to help me, I have java 7 64bit, then I also have java 6 and 7 for 32 bit. So I think this might be the issue but I still don't know what java to uninstall so If anyone can help me with that it will be greatly appreciated!

You're very lucky you apologized before I could read this. I personally have a very low tolerance for people that join and skip reading the rules.

Anyway, welcome! Enjoy your stay!

That's understandable, as at the very top of the forums it does say:

Global Rules

READ THE RULES or Get Bent. Whichever.

Discussions: 2 Messages: 4 Latest: Rules and Guidelines for...

Maiden, Sep 11, 2012

RSS

Edit: It's actually pretty amazing how many people don't read the rules. It's like they want to get bent...

It is funny how there are several users, who are obviously quite active on the forums, answering to this thread but the only thing you're doing is going on about how this guy did not read the rules and how he should be lucky that he did later before he got himself banned etc.

Yet nobody seemed to take the slightest of interest in his actual problem (except for the second post).

I wonder of what use that forum with all its rules was to him when its core use - to help and inform one another - is not fulfilled at all. (In this particular example)

I meant no offense but I was just a bit annoyed by the way he was treated.

And I have the same problem as he has. Tried to downgrade to Tekkit 2.1 with my old minecraft.jar version 1.1.

The Technic Lauchner tried to download something from Minecraft.net until he gave me the same error message as mentioned above.

It is funny how there are several users, who are obviously quite active on the forums, answering to this thread but the only thing you're doing is going on about how this guy did not read the rules and how he should be lucky that he did later before he got himself banned etc.

Yet nobody seemed to take the slightest of interest in his actual problem (except for the second post).

I wonder of what use that forum with all its rules was to him when its core use - to help and inform one another - is not fulfilled at all. (In this particular example)

I meant no offense but I was just a bit annoyed by the way he was treated.

And I have the same problem as he has. Tried to downgrade to Tekkit 2.1 with my old minecraft.jar version 1.1.

The Technic Lauchner tried to download something from Minecraft.net until he gave me the same error message as mentioned above.

He seems to be fine and happy so I don't know why you need to come in here on your high horse and tell us we are bad people. The main reason people who don't follow the rules don't get help is because they don't follow the rules. Anyone who does is treated nicely and usually have their problems resolved. I myself try to go the extra mile if I see someone has posted a good bug reoprt and tried all of the other fixes and searched around a bit. It shows that they are proactive and that the issue is different than most. Almost all of the problems posted here can be solved with a quick trip to the stickys or with a 5 minute google/Technic site search.

This is getting ridiculous, I've looked high and low, left and right, far and near, and so on and so forth, but all I can find are unanswered questions reading "Why can't I downgrade?" It's time this was highlighted to the Team. This is a great feature of the launcher which appears not to work. If I find a solution, I will be quick to get it onto EACH AND EVERY SINGLE post I've found across the internet (Though most are here)

Just a quick one: I can't find a button that lets me ask a question on the technic questions site. Could someone perhaps point one out to me? Cheers.

And in case you were wondering, I have read the rules

[LAST MINUTE EDIT]: Backdating appears only to work down to 3.0.0a, maybe the technic team took down the 1.1 patch files or the 2.x mod files or whatever.

I'll find out in the morning. *YAWN*

This is getting ridiculous, I've looked high and low, left and right, far and near, and so on and so forth, but all I can find are unanswered questions reading "Why can't I downgrade?" It's time this was highlighted to the Team. This is a great feature of the launcher which appears not to work. If I find a solution, I will be quick to get it onto EACH AND EVERY SINGLE post I've found across the internet (Though most are here)

Just a quick one: I can't find a button that lets me ask a question on the technic questions site. Could someone perhaps point one out to me? Cheers.

And in case you were wondering, I have read the rules

[LAST MINUTE EDIT]: Backdating appears only to work down to 3.0.0a, maybe the technic team took down the 1.1 patch files or the 2.x mod files or whatever.

I'll find out in the morning. *YAWN*

You need higher rep to ask a question on the questions site (answer questions to get rep). As for downgrading past 3.0.0a, pretty sure they stopped supporting that and took it down (not sure why you would want to go back that far but okay. Could you link me some of the topics asking about this? I have yet to see one. Downgrading to the more recent versions works perfectly fine for me (and I would assume most others).

You need higher rep to ask a question on the questions site (answer questions to get rep). As for downgrading past 3.0.0a, pretty sure they stopped supporting that and took it down (not sure why you would want to go back that far but okay. Could you link me some of the topics asking about this? I have yet to see one. Downgrading to the more recent versions works perfectly fine for me (and I would assume most others).

First of all, thanks for letting me know about needing more rep to ask questions - that explains a lot

You're lucky I had this on a .txt on a thumb drive, as I bricked my Hard drive yesterday

Also, I only backdated to 3.0.0a to see if it would work, not to play on it - but it looks like it is still supported. (Probably means that they only support the current major release - in this situation, 3.x, that means they probably did stop supporting the 2.x series. Guess I can't play Duncan's old world now ,if I can't get 2.1.0)

Here are the links to the same questions

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/cant-downgrade-to-tekkit-version-2-1-1.26209/

(Macs are immune to viruses, so this solution didn't work for me, also I don't have 16GB to play with)

(Unsure of the relativity of this one, I didn't get time to finish it)

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/cannot-get-tekkit-2-1-0.24835/

https://yogscast.com/showthread.php?86754-2-1-0-download

https://yogscast.com/showthread.php?86024-Downgrade-to-tekkit-not-working-(&highlight=can't downgrade tekkit

As you can see, quite a few. And I'm sure there are more, personally, I think it has probably already been highlighted as a problem to the technic team, and they might be fixing it as we speak, or, they might have decided that tekkit 2.x is no longer supported, so they will probably remove the options to downgrade to the 2.x series by the next launcher update.

If anyone does find an answer and puts it on here, I'll link all the ones listed above to this thread - The world deserves an answer :P

Hope that answers your question Jorcer!

I believe the problem is that Mojang no longr supports Minecraft 1.1, which is the version of Minecraft that Tekkit 2.x runs. No 1.1 Minecraft, No 2.x Tekkit. Also, where on earth did you get the notion that Macs are immune to viruses. If I wa feeling particularly malicous, I could write a virus for Mac right now.

[EDIT] Halibut Barn found the best current solution! He's a couple of posts along!

I believe the problem is that Mojang no longr supports Minecraft 1.1 [...] No 1.1 Minecraft, No 2.x Tekkit. Also, where on earth did you get the notion that Macs are immune to viruses. If I wa feeling particularly malicous, I could write a virus for Mac right now.

Well, first off, That's not quite as it works as far as I'm aware. After pulling apart the way the spoutcraft-based technic launcher works, I came to the conclusion that the way it backdates minecraft is by downloading the relevant mcnostalgia patch files for the relevant mc version - 1.1 in this case, and uses that to change the file to the way it was in version 1.1

I believe this is done through the patch file containing the difference in binary etc. You'll have to look it up, as that's not my area of developing.

I think I may have found a solution to this problem, or at least until it is fixed:

I'm assuming I'm not allowed to post bits of the technic launcher, so I'll tell you where to find it.

In %appdata%/.techniclauncher/launcher/tekkit/modpack.yml (Windows) or

~/Library/techniclauncher/launcher/tekkit/modpack.yml (Mac)

You'll find the list of all the mods that tekkit needs to install.

I'll post a bit from 2.0.0:

2.0.0:[/s]

[s]        libraries:[/s]

[s]        minecraft: 1.1[/s]

[s]        mods:[/s]

[s]            basemods: tekkit-v2.0[/s]

[s]            balkonsweaponmod: v8.4[/s]

[s]            buildcraft: v2.2.12[/s]

[s]            ETC...[/s]

[s]

(Of course I wouldn't make it that easy for you all)

You could try to build it from that, but I don't know where to get 'basemods' from.

If I am not allowed to do this, someone let me know and I'll take the relevant bit down. But I don't remember reading anything against it in the rules

[EDIT] It also appears that all the patches are hosted by the technic team on their github page

[Another EDIT] I have found the problem! The Technic team don't host MC 1.3.x to 1.1 patch files, so Tekkit 2.x appears to be no longer supported. The only way forward is to manually build tekkit yourself using MCNostalgia or whatever. Good luck!