what have I done wrong? ( cables N power )

Andrew

using red power and such, I set up an automatic sorting thingy out. Idea is I put everything in one chest, and it sorts it and smelts it for me.

I have 5 rotary macerator's and 5 induction furnaces doing my smelting. Upon my first test run I noticed a power drop, I thought this was because I was using my cable from a LV transformer to power them all.. so I switched it from the LV to a MV transformer to get more power. everything powered up until I went back to my house, most of my ore had gone threw the system by this time and there was only 1 ore type left. when it was sent on its own, and only 2 of the 10 machines were using power, my cable blew and 1 of the machines did to.

Not sure what caused this, but anyone know a easy fix?? I'm using gold double insulated cable. it can handle up to 128, I have my MV transformer connected to my mfsu correctly ( 3 dotted side wired to mfsu ) so really in theory my MV is only outputting 128, my cable is 128, and I know my machines can handle 128?? all machines connected by the 1 same cable? maybe thats why

maybe a higher voltage cable?? but I dont see how that would help?

I'm pretty sure there is nothing special about induction furnaces. They also take 32 EU/packet maximum, I believe.

The actual exceptions are, off the top of my head:

Mass Fab: can take up to HV

Teleporter: can take up to HV

Terraformer: can take up to HV

Energy Link: can take up to HV

MFE and LV transformer: obviously can take up to MV.

MFSU and MV transformer: can take up to HV.

HV transformer: can take up to EV.

Everything else, I think, is max. LV, unless it has a slot for upgrades on the right, AND you have added one or more transformer upgrades. In which case, every transformer upgrade adds one level to what it can take (one upgrade = can take MV, two = can take HV, three = can take EV)

Yeah, you set up a mass fab taking EV in the middle of your base and tell me how it goes.

Sorry, i was thinking of total packets combined, not individual packet size. I was also remembering that it can be hooked up to a nuclear reactor directly, but there is only one reactor design (that is stable) that can output EV.

Just to clarify a few points on how EU's work.

A packet of energy can be any size, from 1 to 2400. 2400 is the limit because there is currently(Using the version of IC2 that is in tekkit/technic) no way to get a bigger packet.

Packets sized from 1 to 5 are ELV, Extreme low voltage.

6 to 32 is LV.

33 to 128 is MV.

129 to 512 is HV.

513 to 2048 is EV.

Above 2048 doesn't have a name.

All machines and wires have a limit to the packet size they can accept. But no limit to the number of packets.

A machine or wire will explode if it gets a packet that is too large for it.

Wires will simply disintegrate.

Most machines will have an explosion similar to tnt.

A mass fab will have an explosion similar to a nuke.

Nuclear reactors are somewhat unique in that they can produce a large number of different packet sizes depending on their configuration. Everything from 10 EU packets with one cell, to 2400 EU packets if it is completely full of cells.

but there is only one reactor design (that is stable) that can output EV.

The definition of a design that is stable is somewhat controversial.

Using ice cooling there are a number of designs that can produce EV, which is anything from 513 to 2048.

Just to clarify a few points on how EU's work.

A packet of energy can be any size, from 1 to 2400. 2400 is the limit because there is currently(Using the version of IC2 that is in tekkit/technic) no way to get a bigger packet.

Packets sized from 1 to 5 are ELV, Extreme low voltage.

6 to 32 is LV.

33 to 128 is MV.

129 to 512 is HV.

513 to 2048 is EV.

Above 2048 doesn't have a name.

All machines and wires have a limit to the packet size they can accept. But no limit to the number of packets.

A machine or wire will explode if it gets a packet that is too large for it.

Wires will simply disintegrate.

Most machines will have an explosion similar to tnt.

A mass fab will have an explosion similar to a nuke.

Nuclear reactors are somewhat unique in that they can produce a large number of different packet sizes depending on their configuration. Everything from 10 EU packets with one cell, to 2400 EU packets if it is completely full of cells.

The definition of a design that is stable is somewhat controversial.

Using ice cooling there are a number of designs that can produce EV, which is anything from 513 to 2048.

I meant there is only one design (using ice cooling) that produces a large enough packet size that even the refined iron cables can't handle t.

I meant there is only one design (using ice cooling) that produces a large enough packet size that even the refined iron cables can't handle t.

Ah, well, not technically true, but I'm not quibbling over the location of ice stacks.

Not that it makes you wrong, but here's a little known trick that allows you to handle those greater than EV packets.

If the packet has multiple destinations it will actually split at the source into smaller packets.

For example. If you have a reactor that is putting out more than 2048 EU/t then you have HV cable(why is it called that anyway?) out to two HV transformers with redstone currents to reverse them. The greater than 2048 EU/t will come out as two packets half the size of the EU/t, thus allowing them to travel through the cable without destroying it.

Interestingly, this technique would allow you to step any voltage down to a lower one. An extremely useful application would be to have a batbox outputing 32 EU/t. This would go through a tin cable to 7 batboxes that are a roughly equal distance away. The 32 EU/t would split into smaller than 5 EU packets, allowing it to travel through the tin cable without harming it.

The danger arises when one of the batboxes fills up. The 32 EU/t would then only be split between 6 or less batboxes, and the packet size would rise above 5 EU, thus destroying the cable.

It's an interesting fact anyway.

An extremely useful application...

Dunno about that... Making 7 batboxes every 34ish blocks (to allow for spread) and multiple parallel tin lines at the start and end of every length doesn't sound that great.

Compared to just copper cable in a line with a batbox every 5, it would cost about the same. And the tin version is vastly more complicated, finicky, hard to understand, and laggy (due to massive numbers of cable intersections and more packets).

Super / cheaty 400 EU/t tin cables are, however, pretty nice if your total transit distance is less than 40 though.