Crashes on running techniclauncher.exe

vexorg

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.0

Operating System: Win XP 32bit

Java Version: java 7 version 7

Antivirus Program: Norton antivirus (all up to date)

Description of Problem:

Windows reports that the program has encountered a problem and needs to close. The data windows wants to send back to microsoft is:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : techniclauncher.exe P2 : 1.0.1.0

P3 : 5064acfd P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4ef6c16f P7 : 3451

P8 : 119 P9 : system.io.directorynotfound

Spent a good few hours getting .net v4 (with all updates) to find it needs .net v3.5 to run (with all updates), and updating java. Running a nasty 8 bit looking game for my son should not take this much hassle.

Also tried with Norton temporarily disabled (sloppy code writing if this is the cure) and dangerous to suggest in the first place!)

Error Messages:

"Windows reports that the program has encountered a problem"

Error Log:

launcher_init.log file created when program runs, 0 bytes in size.

9 answers to this question

I am getting a “Technic Launcher has Stopped Working Error”!

If your launcher is encountering this error, a solution is to download the .jar file from http://www.technicpack.net/download/ (pick the third from the left (Linux/Jar)). If you are using Internet Explorer you will also need to change the file extension (the ending of the file) to .jar instead of .zip. Once you’ve done that, all you need to do is double-click on the file to run the launcher.

...Running a nasty 8 bit looking game for my son should not take this much hassle...

A nasty 8-bit looking game that has several million users? That one? The one mentioned in Time and Forbes? >_>

Also tried with Norton temporarily disabled (sloppy code writing if this is the cure) and dangerous to suggest in the first place!)

Not our fault. Norton sucks and thinks almost everything is dangerous.

that works fine from the .jar file. I was rapidly kicked out by someone wanting to play - so may never find out what was up with the windows launcher.

It's a known issue with the .exe file. Myself and several other people are attempting to isolate the cause, but my gut feeling on this one is that it is a problem with the way the .exe (a windows executable) tells the .jar (a java executable) to run. All the .exe does is launch the .jar, so the only reasonit wouldn't work is either bad coding, or windows and java not working together properly. I'm eventually gonna look at the source code for the launcher to try to pinpoint the problem, but I might end up having to decompile both java and windows to find out why it won't work.

A nasty 8-bit looking game that has several million users? That one? The one mentioned in Time and Forbes? >_>

Been there and done that 20 years ago when 'Doom' was state of the art gaming. Some of us have been addicted since space invaders came out :D

Anything that wastes an afternoon of my time and looks so bad deserves my wrath

Been there and done that 20 years ago when 'Doom' was state of the art gaming. Some of us have been addicted since space invaders came out :D

Anything that wastes an afternoon of my time and looks so bad deserves my wrath

Textures is it? Try using a 512x512 (or 1024x1024) HD texture pack. Should look at tad better for your classy graphical tastes. :D