Need a little help migrating single player Tekkit to server

Kodre78

Hi all.

Firstly, I'm still fairly new to Minecraft and Tekkit, and this is my first time on the forums, so apologies if there are things you think I *should* know, that I don't. Equally, I'm a software developer, so at the same time I should be able to grasp most concepts!

So that's my disclaimer out of the way. My problem is that I've been playing single-player Tekkit for the last couple of months and I've decided I'd like to migrate it to a local server. Step one is complete; I've installed the server and have it running with its randomly generated world, and it's working fine as far as I can tell.

I was hoping I'd then be able to simply replace the server world with my single player world. But the server has three world directories (world, world_nether and world_the_end) and my single player install has just the one (the main world directory itself, which lives within the saves directory).

I imagine that only replacing the main world directory on the server won't be enough? Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi all.

Firstly, I'm still fairly new to Minecraft and Tekkit, and this is my first time on the forums, so apologies if there are things you think I *should* know, that I don't. Equally, I'm a software developer, so at the same time I should be able to grasp most concepts!

So that's my disclaimer out of the way. My problem is that I've been playing single-player Tekkit for the last couple of months and I've decided I'd like to migrate it to a local server. Step one is complete; I've installed the server and have it running with its randomly generated world, and it's working fine as far as I can tell.

I was hoping I'd then be able to simply replace the server world with my single player world. But the server has three world directories (world, world_nether and world_the_end) and my single player install has just the one (the main world directory itself, which lives within the saves directory).

I imagine that only replacing the main world directory on the server won't be enough? Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Change World-nether to DIM1, and World-the-end (or something like that), to DIM-1. Drag both into the world folder.

(for example, suppose that your SP world name is TESTWORLD) i tried this in tekkit [3.1.2] and i just went into the server config, and set world_name=TESTWORLD, then i deleted the old world folders (world_end, world_nether, etc.) and put the single-player map folder in the server folder, and it worked for ME, so if it works for you, AWESOME, if not then try what andrewdonshik^ said if you havent already tried.

message me if you have questions, im always happy to help :)

Thanks for the pointers guys - really appreciated!

To begin with I started off by just copying my single player world over to see what happens. It dropped me into my world (in the middle of the ocean!) without my inventory. It was my world though, which was a good sign! Sadly the nether was a new one though. Although to be honest, I can rebuild my lava pumping station if it comes down to it.

So then I tried the other suggestion - I renamed the server's world to match, deleted the server world folders and then copied my world folder over, complete with its original name. When I ran the server, it then generated new _nether and _the_end folders. This worked even better, because the nether remained intact.

So thanks for your ideas - so far, so good! I now have only two issues to overcome. The first is my inventory, although to be honest I could just dump everything into a chest before copying the world over, so I'm not especially worried about that. The other one, though, is that in the server version, if I now try to look up the recipe for the Ender Chest, or if I try to create one, I get an instant disconnect.

Looking at the server console, it's coming up with a reference to something that doesn't exist. Both single player and server were downloaded from the technic site and I've not dabbled in mods at all - but could I be missing something? Is it worth installing the server again? The only thing I can think of is that the single player version I downloaded a few months ago and it was auto-updated, whereas the server I downloaded today.

This is the error, and the call stack from the console. Any ideas?

22:02:01 [WARNING] Failed to handle packet: java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException

at net.minecraft.server.ItemStack.setData(ItemStack.java:153)

at net.minecraft.server.ItemStack.<init>(ItemStack.java:39)

at codechicken.core.PacketCustom.readItemStack(PacketCustom.java:409)

at codechicken.nei.NEIServerPacketHandler.handleGiveItem(NEIServerPacketHandler.java:116)

at codechicken.nei.NEIServerPacketHandler.handlePacket(NEIServerPacketHandler.java:21)

at codechicken.core.CoreUtils.handlePacket(CoreUtils.java:150)

at codechicken.core.PacketCustom.recieve(PacketCustom.java:451)

at net.minecraft.server.mod_CodeChickenCore.onPacket250Received(mod_CodeChickenCore.java:65)

at net.minecraft.server.BaseMod.onPacket250Packet(BaseMod.java:93)

at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLBukkitHandler.handlePacket250(FMLBukkitHandler.java:407)

at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:1338)

at net.minecraft.server.Packet250CustomPayload.handle(SourceFile:46)

at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:234)

at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:119)

at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(NetworkListenThread.java:83)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:579)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:467)

at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:492)

Never mind - I fixed it! I remembered that earlier today when looking into ender chests (and why they don't work very well in single player mode), I ran across a bug fix that someone had posted. There's a config file called EnderStorage.cfg in the config folder. All I had to do was change block.id=178 to block.id=251, and now the ender chests work fine.

So now I can return to building my nether lava source - thanks again for your help!

Never mind - I fixed it! I remembered that earlier today when looking into ender chests (and why they don't work very well in single player mode), I ran across a bug fix that someone had posted. There's a config file called EnderStorage.cfg in the config folder. All I had to do was change block.id=178 to block.id=251, and now the ender chests work fine.

So now I can return to building my nether lava source - thanks again for your help!

The "no-inventory" is because the server refers to player-name.dat, within players, and single player refers to level.dat. Don't move the level.dat, though.

Ah thanks - that makes sense. I just went through the process again (before reading your reply) and dumped everything in a chest, collecting it again afterwards, so it worked out okay. This time I also didn't bother renaming the world to match the name of the single player one; I simply deleted the server world folders and created a new world folder, but with the contents of my single player game, and this worked fine.

My nether lava farm can continue unabated! This also means that I can open my server up to friends, which is a bonus.