Lighting and Particle effect mod

vernes

Redstone ore gives off light when mining, nice.

But a Klein Star is just as dark as a lump of coal.

Is it feasible to create a mod that allows you to overwrite the lighting and particle properties of any entity you wish?

When I pump a Omega Klein Star through an unlit room, it should light it up.

The nanosaber should have small lightning sparks coming off.

But just this game, anything that represents some ultimate powerform, or a rare and powerful gem, it should emit something.

Bucket of water, give it an particle effect so drops fall down.

Per example, here is a particle configuration system that is versatile enough to mimic just about any effect. http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=llParticleSystem

The idea ofcourse is to allow enough freedom to configure particle and lighting system to reproduce any result. From negative lighting to any rgb value, omnidirectional, and perhaps even add some weird filters.

Due to the way the current lighting engine is written, it is impossible to create entities that emit light. That includes players, mobs, dropped items, projectiles, and vehicles. The only objects in minecraft that can emit light are solid blocks. Particles are almost the exact opposite, as both blocks (such as redstone ore) and entities (such as endermen or nether portals) can emit particles. So making dropped items emot particles is possible, as they are entities. But making items heldinmyour hand emit particles is not possible, as they are not entities. What you could do is make it so that the player emits particles when they are holding a certain object, but this wouod most likely not have the effect you are looking for.

It's too bad the REP can't be mass-produced, its explosion visuals make the perfect visual effect for your average mad scientist building.

Wireless jammer's maybe? On the server I play on, Gavjenks has the entire end dimension covered in wireless jammers to keep endermen away from his house. It looks awesome, but it can be very annoying when you're on a slow computer.

Wireless jammer's maybe? On the server I play on, Gavjenks has the entire end dimension covered in wireless jammers to keep endermen away from his house. It looks awesome, but it can be very annoying when you're on a slow computer.

But jammers only produce the visuals if a mob is nearby, if left alone, it won't produce any visuals.

But jammers only produce the visuals if a mob is nearby, if left alone, it won't produce any visuals.

If I had the time and inclination, I could probably change the code so that they produce visuals all the time, but I'm not gonna do that. Visual effects and particles are something I'll be looking into in the future, as at the moment, my mod looks pretty boring.