can't play multiplayer with tekkit

TheSilent

Question

Launcher Version: current

Operating System: windows 7 (64 bit)

Java Version: 7

Antivirus Program: norton 360 and malwarebytes anti malware

Description of Problem:

So, when I try to launch tekkit it shows up as cannot connect to minecraft.net but if i go into my .technic folder and delete the .lastlogin file it then connects to minecraft.net but it says "oh noes our tumblr feed is down" but i can connect to minecraft.net but then i can not load any servers (even my own) but I can play single player. Also it asks if i want to update because there is a new update for Tekkit (I have the newest version from website)

Error Messages:

when i try to join a game i get this message

CONNECTION LOST

Internal client error: Java.net.socketexception: Permission denied: connect

I get this message when i try to join ANY server including my own. My friend and I have been trying to fix this for 2 weeks... over 400 forums searched, and nothing works, he officially gave up yesterday :P

Error Log:

there is so much text and I have no idea what I am looking for.....

18 answers to this question

remove norton. as in, completely and totally uninstall it. that kind of an error is usually due to firewall software (like norton) preventing network connections. often times, even when such programs are "disabled" or "turned off" they still fuck things up anyway. norton is known to do this. also, I really, really doubt you searched over 400 forums. if you had, you would have hit upon this really basic advice sooner.

i have seen multiple times to remove norton and any other firewall, i have disabled it completely and uninstalled it and it still doesn't work, was looking for a different solution.

Are you sure you don't have any other firewalls or Antiviruses on?

i have seen multiple times to remove norton and any other firewall, i have disabled it completely and uninstalled it and it still doesn't work, was looking for a different solution.

I'm not playing this game. what have you tried so we can just skip past all the stuff you've already done? unless you really want to go through all the obvious stuff that you apparently have tried already all over again.

well i've tried to disable norton and malewarebyte and i have it to "allow" on both programs now (the entire .technic folder for maleware and both launchers .jar .exe for norton) and nothing, removed both and still nothing, also does anyone know why when i delete the last login file it kind of connects? and no i only have the 2 i had 3 but the 3rd didnt do much i uninstalled that first. i did see someone say to go in a folder in the .technic and add a line or two of text but i'm not good with that stuff so i didn't try that... 95% of the forums i found just said to get rid of the antivirus and not much else, no one says anything to do if that doesnt work... also my friend also has norton 360 and has experienced no problems at all with technic.... anyone know why? also sorry for the late reply, been very busy

just so we're totally clear here, that is the entirety of what you have tried, yes? I am going to go out on a limb and assume this is the case.

generally, if you are getting an error like "permission denied", it's a software problem locally. specifically, it's a firewall of some type. it could be anything from windows firewall to norton. try this though, you need to allow java to access the internet as well. find your java.exe and javaw.exe, and make sure they are being specifically allowed through, since you did not mention that in your list of things you marked as allowed. a lot of times, java is blocked in general and it causes this issue. make sure windows firewall is disabled as well.

java should be living somewhere around here: c:\program files\java\jre7\bin

for the purposes of testing as well, if you would indulge me a bit could you attempt removing norton a second time? be sure to reboot after uninstalling it if you decide to try it again.

edit: oh one more thought, are you logged on to your PC as a user with administrative rights?

yeah that is pretty much all i've done...

i did everything you said, including remove norton a 2nd time and restarting my computer after uninstalling.... Its allowed on everything i have....

and yes i am the administrator.

i think it's time to give up, technic just doesn't like me

i did everything you said, including remove norton a 2nd time and restarting my computer after uninstalling.... Its allowed on everything i have....

Every problem and issue has a solution, even yours

is the error message any different with norton uninstalled? also, does vanilla minecraft have any issues?

oh and if you have any logs that show the error, could you post them?

is the error message any different with norton uninstalled? also, does vanilla minecraft have any issues?

oh and if you have any logs that show the error, could you post them?

I have the exact same problem and my norton has been down for the past few months so it cant be my antivirus or my firewall because i have done everything this says. This happens both on my technic and vanilla is there something wrong with my pc?

and to whom would i send this to? Windows? or technic? or mojang?

and my pc isnt a 64 bit could that contribute to why it isnt working?

You should leave now, before people realize what you just said.

Also:

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/common-problems-and-solutions.10851/

"If the instructions below are not clear enough for you to understand, please use Google to assist yourself. We can not babysit you, and

the solutions below assume you have a basic understanding of the computer you're using. If not, ask for help from someone who does, or your parents, or your friends, etc.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE BEFORE YOU CONTINUE."

You should leave now, before people realize what you just said.

Also:

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/common-problems-and-solutions.10851/

"If the instructions below are not clear enough for you to understand, please use Google to assist yourself. We can not babysit you, and

the solutions below assume you have a basic understanding of the computer you're using. If not, ask for help from someone who does, or your parents, or your friends, etc.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE BEFORE YOU CONTINUE."

yea lol i noticed the giant fricken button just after i posted that sorry :P