Technic pack runs really slow laggy cpu maxes.

Hey guys,

Just got the Technic pack Its running really slowly And laggey so did vallina minecraft and it maxes my cpu max out to 100% I have a really nice computer and cant figure out why it maxes out and is laggey etc any suggestions ?

I suggest reading the tekkit bug board. you're on a laptop aren't you? one of those fancy deals with the power saving feature of turning your nvidia card off when you're not playing a game? nvidia optimus I think it's called? I know, I'm psychic. that's good too, 'cause you didn't provide any real information about your problem or system setup. all the mind reading takes it out of me though so I am unable to link you right to the thread. happy hunting!

for one, you didn't read the tekkit bug board at all, did you?

for two, your problem is still probably exactly the same as the one I'm thinking of. your laptop is not using your real graphics card to play minecraft.

luckily for you, the solution for you may not be the same because you probably have an ATI video card and not a Nvidia card (you didn't say, but I'm mind reading again). not so luckily for you, that means it's way harder to fix. aren't you excited?

a little google-fu got me this article on HP's support site: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&docname=c02948560

since I know you will not read that at all, let me break it down for you.

to fix this you will need to do the following:

-flash your BIOS to an updated version

-install a specific version of the drivers for your card

-change settings inside your BIOS

-tell the computer to use the real graphics card

if you have no idea what a BIOS is and why you would want to get nude for it briefly, you may be out of luck. if you screw up with the BIOS thing, you could potentially turn your laptop into an expensive paperweight. let this be a lesson to you: laptops are terrible for gaming unless they are built specifically to play games. even then they're suboptimal.

• 2 weeks later...

To fix this you do NOT need to go into your BIOS or do any of that. Here is how to fix it for both vanilla Minecraft and the Technic Pack, and why there's a difference:

Minecraft.exe and TechnicLauncher.exe are just the launcher executables that call on the Java that actually runs the games. java.exe is the program that appears in your Task Manager's Processes tab when you play Technic Pack, but javaw.exe is the program that does the heavy lifting when you play Minecraft or Technic Pack. When you play vanilla Minecraft, javaw.exe makes itself known on the Processes tab as well; I have no idea why Technic Pack functions differently.

Open your NVIDIA Control Panel and go to Manage 3D settings, Program Settings tab. Click "Add." Now this is the part where there's differences if you use a 64-bit operating system. If you have 64-bit Java, which you should if you have a 64-bit operating system, navigate to the Java folder in Program Files (x86) and select javaw.exe; you can then select the High-performance NVIDIA processor as the preferred processor. Hit Apply and you're good. This will cause you to use your NVIDIA card for vanilla Minecraft.

However, Technic Pack does not use the version of javaw.exe in the Program Files (x86) version of the Java folder. You must add the version of javaw.exe in the Program Files version of the Java folder to your NVIDIA Control Panel's exceptions list if you want to run Technic Pack using your NVIDIA GPU.

This should fix the problems. Best of luck. =D

To fix this you do NOT need to go into your BIOS or do any of that. Here is how to fix it for both vanilla Minecraft and the Technic Pack, and why there's a difference:

Minecraft.exe and TechnicLauncher.exe are just the launcher executables that call on the Java that actually runs the games. java.exe is the program that appears in your Task Manager's Processes tab when you play Technic Pack, but javaw.exe is the program that does the heavy lifting when you play Minecraft or Technic Pack. When you play vanilla Minecraft, javaw.exe makes itself known on the Processes tab as well; I have no idea why Technic Pack functions differently.

Open your NVIDIA Control Panel and go to Manage 3D settings, Program Settings tab. Click "Add." Now this is the part where there's differences if you use a 64-bit operating system. If you have 64-bit Java, which you should if you have a 64-bit operating system, navigate to the Java folder in Program Files (x86) and select javaw.exe; you can then select the High-performance NVIDIA processor as the preferred processor. Hit Apply and you're good. This will cause you to use your NVIDIA card for vanilla Minecraft.

However, Technic Pack does not use the version of javaw.exe in the Program Files (x86) version of the Java folder. You must add the version of javaw.exe in the Program Files version of the Java folder to your NVIDIA Control Panel's exceptions list if you want to run Technic Pack using your NVIDIA GPU.

this would be the fix if he didn't have a model with an ATI card in it. unfortunately, he does according to HP's support website.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though this guy's problem might not be sorted, it looks like I may have finally stumbled upon a reasonable solution.

I'l let you know if it works :)