Tic-Tac-Toe: Technic Edition!

ChrisPerson

4revfd.png

A long time a go, in a galaxy far, far awa- forget it, this isn't Star Wars, this is Tic-Tac-Toe!

To this day, I haven't seen a Tic-Tac-Toe map made specifically for Technic Pack. I even searched for it, but to no avail. Anyways, this a machine that allows you to play Tic-Tac-Toe.

So what does it have?

• Full sized screen. I'm afraid I haven't worked out X's yet, but O's are petty good!
  • Anti-cheating. If you try to trick the computer into putting an X and an O in the same square, you forfeit your turn!
  • Turns - While you may not think of it as much, the computer won't allow you to make a move if it's not your turn! It even tells you when it is, cheater!
  • Win/Lose/Tie Detection - There are thousands of different ways for a game of tic-tac-toe to end (seriously), and the computer knows all of them. Seriously. Anyways, it can tell the difference between a win and a tie!
  • Frame Assistance - if you can't reach the buttons for some reason, press a button! Frames with ladders will rise up to guide you in your grand button-pressing scheme!

Screenshots:

20pu07s.png

Player 2 won! Oh, that's diamond on the right.

2m3r0pt.png

That's just some of the wiring for the screen. It's an outdated pic - now there's the win/lose detector at the back as well.

2wclbex.png

The memory for half of the device. It stores your moves, determines if they're valid, and then activates the right wires if the move is.

10r4704.png

An outside view of the game room.

Download link, about two more photos, and other misc. information (such as the texture pack I used or the time it took to build this) are on the project page for it on Planet Minecraft:

Planet Minecraft - Tic-Tac-Toe

This is ultra impressive.

But I must troll and be constructive...

I challenge you, sir, to build Connect 4.

That is one of the most fun things to build in vanilla minecraft that doesn't require a week to build like a programmable ticker display :)

And everyone on the server plays it with you!

Maybe I will build connect four, but first I have to figure out how to light precise areas with red wire.

I shall provide you with screenshots:

2012-10-27_123059.png

2012-10-27_123106.png

2012-10-27_123630.png

2012-10-27_123620.png

As you can see, if you power a layer of blocks behind the lamps and not actually the lamps themselves they will power separately and not in little + symbols :)

I just had one of those "Why the heck didn't I think of that?!" moments. Thank you so much. I could've done the screen with X's and O's in white! I'm still not entirely familiar with microblocks, so I didn't know you could have a repeater and a slab/whatever it's called above it. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!

I just had one of those "Why the heck didn't I think of that?!" moments. Thank you so much. I could've done the screen with X's and O's in white! I'm still not entirely familiar with microblocks, so I didn't know you could have a repeater and a slab/whatever it's called above it. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!

No problem :) I figured that out when I was making a ticker display but out of lamps.

Also I just had an aha! moment too xD I was programming my elevator and saved myself probably 2000 lines of code ._.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks awesome, but I did some math, and there are only 32 different tic-tac-toe solutions, if not less.

I think that's for how many different ways you can win. Don't forget the order of turns, even ones irrelevant to the victory, and the placement of the loser's squares.

I think that's for how many different ways you can win. Don't forget the order of turns, even ones irrelevant to the victory, and the placement of the loser's squares.

No, he is actually right - there are only 32 different tic-tac-toe solutions, more or less. But there are THOUSANDS of possible non-winning combinations.

As you can see, if you power a layer of blocks behind the lamps and not actually the lamps themselves they will power separately and not in little + symbols :)

So I got around to testing this, but I can't get it to work - I can't place the repeaters. How did you place your repeaters/covers?