An Error Always Appears at Startup of the Launcher

Gladuos

Question

Launcher Version: 7 (I think? The latest version today.)

Operating System: Windows Vista

Java Version: 7

Antivirus Program: Avast! Free Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Description of Problem:

Every time I try to open the Technic launcher an error immediately appears saying, "Cannot load: C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Roaming\logs" I then click the okay button, a new window appears:

Requested registry access is not allowed.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name)

at TechnicLauncher.Program.GetJavaFileAssociationPath()

at TechnicLauncher.Program.LogBasicSystemInfo(TextWriter log)

at TechnicLauncher.Program.Main()

I have tried running the launcher as an admin, I have tried running the .jar version as an admin through both java.exe and javaw.exe, but nothing pops up when I try to use the .jar version, the command prompt opens for a split second with java and nothing happens for javaw. I have tried disabling all of my anti-virus softwares but still the same problem. I have even tried running command prompt as an admin and then trying to run the .jar version of the launcher, nothing.

Upon looking into my roaming folder I can find that the .techniclauncher folder is completely empty and a "logs" folder is created outside of the .techniclauncher folder with a text document merely named, "launcher_init"

I believe that is all, I have contemplated installing all of the mods manually but I'm not sure I know exactly how or if there would be any incompatibilities without the launcher.

Error Messages:

Cannot load: C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Roaming\logs

Requested registry access is not allowed.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name)

at TechnicLauncher.Program.GetJavaFileAssociationPath()

at TechnicLauncher.Program.LogBasicSystemInfo(TextWriter log)

at TechnicLauncher.Program.Main()

Error Log:

9 answers to this question

Yes I am, this is the only user I have on this computer and it is the administrator account. As I said in the description, it does the same thing despite running as admin.

EDIT:

I ran SFC.EXE in my command prompt a little bit ago and it does say there were a few problems but it could not fix them. Do you think my registry could be messed up?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I apologies if this is classed as thread hi-jack, it is not just pointing out a few things.

I get the same error on both my desktop and laptop, both are Windows 7 (1 professional, 1 Home), both have Norton Internet Security, both use an account as an administrator both had UAC turned off, both have run the TechnicLauncher.exe as Administrator, I have even logged in on both as the real Administrator as well.

On my desktop, have not tried on laptop, I could not even get the jar file to run by double clicking on it regardless of file association, had to resort to creating a cmd to run it .

I do know that WinRAR had taken over the association of jar files and I could not set it to anything using the normal windows file association method. I uninstalled WinRAR and even after that still could not change association. Had to edit registry to remove that association.

If you troll the internet this problem does not just occur with TechnicLaucnher but from many different programs even Microsoft's!!! There seems to be no generic fix and believe me I have tried whatever I could. In the end I did a complete new install of Windows 7 on my desktop and have not touched UAC at all and after getting every thing back with fresh installs of all the "standard" software, java, anti-virus etc. TechnicLauncher worked without a hitch.

Looking at restoring my laptop now.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I apologies if this is classed as thread hi-jack, it is not just pointing out a few things.

I get the same error on both my desktop and laptop, both are Windows 7 (1 professional, 1 Home), both have Norton Internet Security, both use an account as an administrator both had UAC turned off, both have run the TechnicLauncher.exe as Administrator, I have even logged in on both as the real Administrator as well.

If you troll the internet this problem does not just occur with TechnicLaucnher but from many different programs even Microsoft's!!! There seems to be no generic fix and believe me I have tried whatever I could. In the end I did a complete new install of Windows 7 on my desktop and have not touched UAC at all and after getting every thing back with fresh installs of all the "standard" software, java, anti-virus etc. TechnicLauncher worked without a hitch.

Looking at doing this on my laptop now.

Your problem was likely Norton...

Your problem was likely Norton...

My problem is not Norton otherwise TechnicLauncher would not have work after the re-install of Windows 7, Norton and other software !!! I even before the re-install disabled Norton, went through all the Firewall, Program Control etc. to ensure it was not being blocked and allowed to connect, which it was.

After the re-install I did not even have to disable NIS or anything.