"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

SHUT UP FOR ONCE NOW SOMEONE TELL ME THE RIGHT WAY SO I CAN PLAY PLEASE

But if we shut up we can't tell you the right way to play! What do you want us to do!?

Will they make a tekkit that runs on minecraft 1.4.2 ?

Eventually (Do not ask when!)

SHUT UP FOR ONCE NOW SOMEONE TELL ME THE RIGHT WAY SO I CAN PLAY PLEASE

Did you follow all the instructions in the Original Post? Did you read the other pages in this thread to find any possible fixes? Have you given us any information other than "it doesn't work!"

Gives us some proper information or get out.

Did you follow all the instructions in the Original Post? Did you read the other pages in this thread to find any possible fixes? Have you given us any information other than "it doesn't work!"

Gives us some proper information or get out.

He has the Malformed URL exception error that AFAIK, has no solution atm. But that isn't why he is quitting Tekkit, its because of me :(

I found a possible solution, I was able to use a technic backup to restore tekkit to a prior version, it updated back to a stable build just fine. Would it be legal to distribute a backup zip as an emergency solution?

Doubt it but you could ask someone.

So much rage in this post. I was having the update failed problem, I followed the directions exactly as they were posted, and I am now playing. +1 for the OP. -testicle for the green rage monster who doesn't read.

First post on these forums ever. Hooray for solutions to irritating problems.

The problem i had when i was trying to DL tekkit in IE8, it had zipped all the files in the cache folder. I unzipped them all and it works fine now. I never had a problem with it in IE7. (This fix is only good for a NEW install of tekkit if you DL it on IE8) i'm just wondering if that is the problem for someone else.

Hello. I have gotten the launcher to work runs the tecknic mod. then i tried to play the hack slash. gave me the same updatefailed. question is do I download vanilla MC again and rename it and place it in the same cache as the 1.2.5 version or do i put it in the hack folder and if so where in it?