"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VoxelModpack still gives me "Failed Update." Help? I did put minecraft_1.3.2 in Cache, and it IS 1.3.2. However, it may be modded. Can someone give me a good download to a Minecraft 1.3.2?

i am pretty sure its minecraft_1.2.5 that you have to re-name it to i am not sure but thats what it says in the post

and i can't post a bug report because i don't know what version of Java i have :\

Well then figure it out using google!

i am pretty sure its minecraft_1.2.5 that you have to re-name it to i am not sure but thats what it says in the post

Not if you are trying to use the Voxel box like that fellow was. Seeing as you haven't fixed your problem, I don't think you are in any position to be giving help...

Well then figure it out using google!

Not if you are trying to use the Voxel box like that fellow was. Seeing as you haven't fixed your problem, I don't think you are in any position to be giving help...

could you please help me all i want to know is, "is the latest version of Java update 9?" that's all i need to know

its ok i fixed it

all you need to do is not extract the file you just re-named minecraft_1.2.5 you copy iy into the cache folder in .techniclauncher

and you paste it in there, if you don't have that folder from clearing your cache (you have to do that before you put it in cache folder) then just click log in and wait for it to say "update failed" then there will be an empty cache folder, you copy the renamed file into the folder

hope it helped

its ok i fixed it

all you need to do is not extract the file you just re-named minecraft_1.2.5 you copy iy into the cache folder in .techniclauncher

and you paste it in there, if you don't have that folder from clearing your cache (you have to do that before you put it in cache folder) then just click log in and wait for it to say "update failed" then there will be an empty cache folder that youy copy the renamed file into

hope it helped

...So you just followed the instruction and then posted here taking credit for them...?

I have found a solution, do the same things as the original solution, but download 1.2.3. from here:

http://www.minecraft-minecraft.com/minecraft-1-2-3-jar-released-download-minecraft-1-2-3-jar.html

and rename it minecraft_1.2.3.jar

That only works if the modpack you are using uses Minecraft version 1.2.3 but yes, as has been stated numerous times, you need to rename it to the Minecraft version that the mod uses.

The hardest direction to follow with this file is that you don't have to extract it before it's renamed then put in the cache folder as described above.

Sort of like I get into the habit of taking the packaging off my disk before I put it in the computer or take the microwave popcorn out of the plastic bag before putting it in the microwave to pop.

Also beware there is an outdated youtube video out there that recommends copying the jar file from minecraft file 1.3.1 and putting it directly into the tekkit bin's file. This is the addy of said file

The video here does NOT provide a useful solution to the current launcher problem.

Thank you Jorcer & all for the advice. With out all if it I wouldn't have caught my mistake and would still be trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Hopefully the feedback I give will prevent similiar errors.

Hi, to people whom it does not work for, after you have completed the method which has been prescribed in the original post, try selecting Tekkit when choosing the modpack from the drop-down menu in the launcher as otherwise it would not work if you were to select Vanilla or The Voxel Modpack etc.

after 3 hours of doing a variety of tasks like trying to find my library to finding a million street shoots i can say mac users don't fear you don't have to put a hole through your computer in anger n is possible.

.techniclauncher should be in your library, under application support here is folder link, [what ever your user name is]/library/applicationsupport/techniclauncher.... I think that is what it is