Dynamic Technic/Tekkit Install builder

vernes

I remember the antivirus/mallware application called "Hitman Pro".

It did nothing more but download and execute different antivirus software and handle the clicking of buttons for you before remove those applications again after use.

So he didn't actually redistribute those applications, he just facilitated the end-user to do this automatically.

Would it be possible for Technic/Tekkit to follow the same methodology?

Let the end-user pick the mods he wants and let the tekkit installer download and supply the additional config files where needed.

The end-user is the one downloading the mods, the launcher supplies the solution to make it all work.

Just an idea.

I remember the antivirus/mallware application called "Hitman Pro".

It did nothing more but download and execute different antivirus software and handle the clicking of buttons for you before remove those applications again after use.

So he didn't actually redistribute those applications, he just facilitated the end-user to do this automatically.

Would it be possible for Technic/Tekkit to follow the same methodology?

Let the end-user pick the mods he wants and let the tekkit installer download and supply the additional config files where needed.

The end-user is the one downloading the mods, the launcher supplies the solution to make it all work.

Just an idea.

Short answer: I highly doubt it

Longer answer: I assume you mean something like the old YogBox with a tick box where you select the mods you want. The way the launcher works, I doubt this would work without way too much effort. You used to be able to use a config file to toggle mods on and off, but due to the fact that Forge replaced Modloader, this is no longer possible. You can still remove mods manually without too much fuss. As for the purpose of the Launcher, it provides a one stop shop for 5 different versions of Minecraft (many running separate versions of Minecraft) and provides an auto update feature as well as allowing you to back date to most of the previous release versions of Minecraft. I much prefer the new launcher to the old YogBox type downloader that forced you to uninstall and reinstall everytime an update was released.

It was more aimed at avoiding the whole "Tekkit is distributing without my sayso" issue.

This installer idea would only distribute "compatibility config files", and it does so depending on which mods you select.

The rest is downloaded at the request of the end-user.

I was actually coding such a launcher; the only problem is the fact that to say that everything's *not* being distributed by Technic, the launcher would have to download it from the modders' adfly links. And I never found a way to do that programmatically. Same with mediafire and other hosts.

I could try, but I gave up on that launcher a long time ago. Here's the thing, vernes.

The people that hate Technic mostly don't hate because of the big permissions drama, although that makes a convenient excuse. They hate Technic because Technic makes it easy for anyone to play with mods. Even people for whom the words "drag into your .minecraft folder" are forbidden magic. Technic (and FTB when it's out) make modded Minecraft accessible, and they don't like that. They want to keep it as an elite little club, that only they can use.