Piston doors are old! Turtle doors are in!

sancarn

Hey there. You know those old 3x3 piston doors? Do you find that they are really large, clunky and difficult to get your head around? Don't you just hate it when you come across a design, build it in your world and suddenly realise it doesn't work because of patches or directional bugs? Have you tried making frame doors but you just can't make them look cool enough without making them extremely over complicated and pricey?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, I think your going to like this. Introducing your neighbourhood friendly wireless mining turtle! What can he do? Well he can dig and place blocks of course! So want to see an example of his amazing work?

20121107091421.png

Well there's our 3x3 door. Granted you'd have to jump a bit to reach the gap but you can fix that later by sinking it into the ground a bit. There really is no reason it is in the air, apart from for you to see how it works. So first - does it work?

20121107091447.png

Well now you can see that it works. Well you can trust me that it does... Or you could get the code from below and try it out yourself! So you may be wondering why you can't see the turtles at all? Well the front is completely pasted in obsidian covers. This is just to make the whole thing look much more flush with the wall. Take a look:

20121107091355.png

Of course if you still don't believe that it works feel free to check out the video I made about it here:

But guess what the best part is? You get the code for free! The download link is below:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yuqdd0zuaukwm1z

I've tried to make the code as user friendly as I possibly can. Watching the video will also help you to understand a bit more how to use it. However I do also plan on writing a mini tutorial on how to use the turtle door code package.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the invention!

that's pretty cool. I hadn't really thought of using turtles for doors.

Yeah it's something I'd never really thought of before until I came across a problem in my survival world which would normally require an insane amount of pistons. It's good if you want to show off how many resources you have. Also you can make really really large doors without breaking much of a sweat. I am planning on live streaming the making of a 9x9 door which should be fun and interesting! =D

Not got a specific date for it as of yet but we'll see what happens! Hopefully it will be soonish =D

Yeah, but turtles require fuel. Or at least, they do starting with CC1.4.

I think it only takes fuel to move/perform actions (could be wrong). even if that's not the case, you could just setup chargers for them that fuel them while they're in their rest positions using some solar panels or whatever else.

Yeah, but turtles require fuel. Or at least, they do starting with CC1.4.

as freakachu said they only use fuel to move. Each turtle moves a maximum of 4 blocks for each opening and closing. Coal/Charcoal gives you 96 fuel. So that's about 14 opening and closes per piece of coal/charcoal. To be honest that's not too bad. Fill it with a coal-fuelcan and you get 1824 movements (456 openings or closes). That'll probably last you for all the time you have the door.

I guess you have to ask yourself how often are you planning on opening and closing the door?

Also as freakachu said you can build a refueling system and if you have enough materials for 4 turtles I'm pretty sure you'll have enough fuel for your door =)