Portal made in Nether does not create new portal in Overworld over large distance

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with Nether portals. I know that the minimum distance between them needs to be 1024 meters, but I travelled 5000m in the Nether, which should theoretically put me at Overworld coordinates 40,000. However, no new portal is created and I am sent back to the one I made before. These coordinates are seperated by well over 1024 meters, which I understand is the distance needed for a new portal, but it doesn't create one. I really don't want to travel 40km in the Overworld, is there a solution to this?

If no active portal blocks exist in the search region, the game creates one by looking for the closest possible valid location to place a portal within 16 blocks horizontally of the player's destination coordinates.

Search region is defined as:

a bounding area of 128 horizontal blocks from the player, and the full map height (128 for the Nether, 256 for the Overworld). This gives a search area of 257 blocks by 257 blocks, at the full height of the dimension being traveled to.

Forty thousand blocks is well outside the search area. A new portal should be created.

That is what they said isn't it? They said they can'T get to the overworld with the new portal though it is far enough away from the first portal. So basically if the search area for the "Exit"-portal doesn'T contain a pregenerated one there should be created one. Either way Doc should be able to leave the second portal in the overworld...

Well unless the search region defined by where the second portal is isn'T suitable ^^

I was under the impression that if no available space was found in the overworld, it would either create it on the surface or on a floating obsidian platform. The portal in the Nether I'm trying to get working is approximately at height 117, could that be affecting anything?