Setting up a server

Hey guys, having trouble setting up a server, so far I've downloaded the Tekkit server stuff. I've port forwarded 25565. I've found my internal IP Address by looking at the IPv4 section in ipconfig (192.168.1.XXX) . So I've gone into my server.properties and set the IP Address to that (192.168.1.XXX). Then I've used a laptop to log into it and test it direct connecting to 192.168.1.XXX:25565.

Here's where the trouble is. I have two routers in my house. One upstairs and the other downstairs. So it goes Internet > Modem > Downstairs Router > Upstairs Router > PC. Now if my laptop is connected to the wireless of my Upstairs Router it can get into the server using the address (192.168.XXX:25565), however if it's connected to the Downstairs Router it cannot log in.

I'm trying to avoid Hamachi/Remobo or any of the other VPNs if I can, they keep giving me trouble. And I don't want to have to subscribe to an online host, because I just want to play with 3 or 4 of my mates.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Do I need to portforward 25565 on the downstairs router too?

Should I put in the IP address of the downstairs router *and* the upstairs router when I try to connect?

Should be using my external IP address?

Ok, you actually need to leave the IP Address in the server.properties blank, I believe, and if you have the port forwarded from the server computer's internal address (the 192.168.etc... one) in your internet settings, then others should be able to connect using the external address (which you can easily find online)

I'm not an expert on servers, but I've managed to get one running in the past.

Ok, you actually need to leave the IP Address in the server.properties blank, I believe, and if you have the port forwarded from the server computer's internal address (the 192.168.etc... one) in your internet settings, then others should be able to connect using the external address (which you can easily find online)

I'm not an expert on servers, but I've managed to get one running in the past.

Thanks for your reply nedned2k.

I tried what you suggested. I left the IP Address in server.properties blank. I then found my IP address and used my laptop to try and connect both trying with and without the :25565 on the end. Neither could connect to the server.

Replace the downstairs router with the with the wireless one then portforward on it. I've never had to port forward through two routers not sure if you can.

Better yet get your ISP to give you an all in one (modem, router, wireless router)

But to portforward the address is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Password and username are sometimes on the router them selves. Not sure how to connect to the second router if you even can, I don't think so.

Check portforward.com for the username and password if you can't find it.

Replace the downstairs router with the with the wireless one then portforward on it. I've never had to port forward through two routers not sure if you can.

Better yet get your ISP to give you an all in one (modem, router, wireless router)

But to portforward the address is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Password and username are sometimes on the router them selves. Not sure how to connect to the second router if you even can, I don't think so.

Check portforward.com for the username and password if you can't find it.

The Downstairs router is also wireless, but the signal is terrible. I don't know why, maybe copper wires or something, it's a Belkin N downstairs and a Netgear WNR2000 upstairs. Also we have 2 xbox 360's in the house, but the routers can't seem to handle both being connected to the same one at the same time. The second one to connect will boot the first one and we'd have to reset whichever router it happened to.

I know *how* to portforward, I was just wondering if I'd have to do it for both. I can connect to the second router by the computer that's wired to it downstairs if I have to.

Switch them so the better signal is off the modem then connect to it through your laptop.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to take the ethernet cable out the back of my Netgear and put it straight into my PC, so it's connected to the Belkin......pain in the posterior since I won't be able to use the wireless from the Netgear while it's up, but I'm sure it'll work.

I think it's trying to run through two routers that's messing it up. :/

Still not working.

I took out the downstairs router all together. So now it goes Internet > Modem > Netgear > PC.

25565 is portforward. I've tried with 192.168.1.XXX in the server.properties and asking someone not on my internet to log into the server using 192.168.1.XXX:25565 but it didn't work. Then I deleted it from the server.properties and asked them to try using my external IP address, but still no luck.

Am I just banging my head against a wall trying this? Does this method even work? Should I just give up and use a VPN?