New server for dummies

Enalya7NZ

Hello. I would very much like to create a modpack and start a server. The modpack is the easy part. I have no idea of how to start a multiplayer server, however, and I am not that technically minded. I also have Aspergers syndrome with a learning disability. If someone could kindly provide step by step instructions on how to create a multiplayer server people can use with the modpack I wish to make, that is clear and easy to follow, I would be very grateful.

18 hours ago, Enalya7NZ said:

Hello. I would very much like to create a modpack and start a server. The modpack is the easy part. I have no idea of how to start a multiplayer server, however, and I am not that technically minded. I also have Aspergers syndrome with a learning disability. If someone could kindly provide step by step instructions on how to create a multiplayer server people can use with the modpack I wish to make, that is clear and easy to follow, I would be very grateful.

https://technicpack.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203799459-How-to-create-a-server-for-your-Platform-modpack

You should be able to follow directions just fine.

Thank you, and I have looked at these instructions, but I am unsure of what steps 2 and 3 mean exactly...How am I to know what kind I need? Which of many versions is better? Do I match the mods to these files, or make the pack then download these files to match the mods? Also how can I tell what a client only mod is? And where exactly do I put all these once I have them figured out?

As I said, I'm none too intelligent when it comes to this kind of thing...when I've got it, I've got it, when I don't have it, my brain is a jumbled mess and I make mistakes.

10 hours ago, Enalya7NZ said:

Thank you, and I have looked at these instructions, but I am unsure of what steps 2 and 3 mean exactly...How am I to know what kind I need? Which of many versions is better? Do I match the mods to these files, or make the pack then download these files to match the mods? Also how can I tell what a client only mod is? And where exactly do I put all these once I have them figured out?

As I said, I'm none too intelligent when it comes to this kind of thing...when I've got it, I've got it, when I don't have it, my brain is a jumbled mess and I make mistakes.

You stated that making a modpack was easy. Making a server is kinda the same really. You just need a minecraft server jar and the forge server jar (as opposed to just forge universal renamed to modpack). The minecraft server jar needs to match the MC version of the modpack, while the forge server jar needs to match the forge version number of your modpack. You need to do this manually, but you can keep reusing these files.

As for clientside only mods, think of things like CustomMainMenu or ResourceLoader. These are things that the server doesn't understand. The server has no main menu. Some minimaps are clientside only too.