Voltz starting guide

M-C

Okay, I've decided to make a starting guide on Voltz because of the request, and I felt like making one :P. In this guide, I'll go over the mods one by one, tell some of the most important recipes and say what you should do. First of all, here's a list of the mods I WON'T explain, just because a lot of people already know them or they don't add actual content to the game:

-MCP

-FML

-MCF

-CodeChicken Core

-NEI

-Rei's minimap

-Inventory tweaks

-Mystcraft

-Railcraft

Okay, let's start with the guide!

First I'll go over the main mod, basic components.

This is the mod that adds all the basic tools to get you started with other Voltz mods.

Basic components adds some worldgen in the form of copper and tin.

In a regular crafting table you can put two copper on the left and right of a tin ingot in order to make bronze dust, put this in a furnace to get a bronze ingot. The mod also adds steel ingots, you make this similiar to bronze, but instead of copper you use charcoal, and instead of tin you use iron, so like "charcoal - iron - charcoal" in a 3x3 crafting grid.

Also, you're able to make steel plates by putting the steel in a 2x2 crafting grid.

These are all the materials added by the mod. Using these, you'll be able to get started with UE.

You need copper wires now, these are for moving around your electricity. I'll get more into making and using electricity later on. You make copper wires like this:

O6xWX.pngthe brown ingot is copper.

EDIT: you should use leather instead of wool here. This is due to the electric expansion mod.

Now, you still need to learn how to make batteries, circuits and motors. These three are used in machines a lot, together with the ingots added by the mod. Here are the recipes for these three (actually five, because there are three 'levels' of circuits) items:

batteries:

aF27I.pngthe white (kind of blue) ingot is tin

The three circuits:

gEXSl.pngThe gray plate is a steel plate

ayrLj.png

Mh9ew.png

The motor:

NN9df.pngThe ingots are steel ingots

Okay, so you know how to make the basic components now? Let's start making the machines then! First, your first generator: the coal generator!

2InQc.pngThe orange ingot isn't actually brick, it's bronze.

Using this generator you'll be able to power the electric furnace that this mod adds, but also all the things that the other mods add. All Voltz mods use the same type of electricity, so you don't need to worry about having to make different types of generators for different mods. This coal generator will get you started with your Voltz adventure!

Now, let's make a battery box to store our energy, shall we?

5yv8p.png

Also, I forgot to mention, a red hole in your machine means input, and a black one means output. So if you want to move the electricity out of your coal generator into the battery box, you should attach a cable to the black output hole of your coal generator and into the red input hole of your battery box.

You should make a wrench now, this allows you to manipulate certain blocks/machines. Normally the recipe is shown as four steel on the manual, but it's actually three steel and a diamond, like this:

XSX

XDS

SXX

Where D = diamond and S = steel

Let's now make something to use our electricity with: An electric furnace

CG3Lp.pngThat plate is a bronze plate

This fella works faster than a normal furnace and it does that on electricity!

Okay, that's the basic components mod. From this moment on I won't go into recipes that much anymore, so you should use NEI, I'll only show the recipes you can't find in NEI.

Basic pipes:

This surely isn't the biggest of mods, but it's very handy! Here's a link to the manual made by the mod author:

http://calclavia.com/universalelectricity/?m=3&p=crafting

This mod adds some pipes to move around things, adds some cross-mod compatibility.

It adds steam pipes, so you can use it together with railcraft. It adds pumps too.

For the recipes you should either use NEI or check the manual using the link I just gave.

Assembly line:

This mod adds some conveyor belts to move around items, manipulators (these are like transposers from redpower 2) to pull items out of a chest or to put items in a chest.

A rejector to sort around items on the conveyor belts. And crates, these are like the factorization barrels. You can store 32 stacks of the same item in one crate, but what's awesome about these is that you can take the barrel using a wrench and carry it around, with all the items still in it, that is! This mod is still a WIP mod. There's still a lot to be added to the mod.

Okay, let's talk about electric expansion now, this mod adds an advanced battery box with upgrades, more types of wire, some measuring tools, a transformer and lead.

You get lead ingots from wither skeletons. When killed, they drop from 1 to 4 ingots.

The wires added, from weakest to strongest are:

Copper wire

Tin wire

Silver wire

HV wire

Superconductor wire

The difference between these wires is that the strongest, the superconductor loss has the least electricity loss over distance and the copper wire the most.

The advanced battery box on it's own isn't THAT useful, but once you get to the upgrades it starts to get interesting. You can add storage upgrades to the advanced battery box making it much more useful than the normal battery box. This mod also adds some batteries for portable electricity storage. This mod also adds a handy machine called the wire mill, this machine takes in electricity and makes wires for you. Just drop some ingots in of the type of wire you'd like to make, and this machine makes wire for you. Of course this has a use: it's more efficient than making your cables the normal way. So basically, this mod adds all kinds of things to store, manage and move around your electricity, and a few machines to help you.

*more mods being added*

Yay, you listened! Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Cool, this is really useful. I didn't even know where to start, and all the reading of the manuals was getting tiring and boring.

No problem! I'll add more mods later, so you can get more advanced with Voltz.

In the first recipe, what are the 6 white blocks you have surrounding the copper ingots? The only recipe I can find for the copper wires you describe does not match the screenshots you have posted.

I have not checked the accuracy of the other recipes.

If I may make a few suggestions:

-More details for each item (details/tips from the documentation and tested results)

-Full recipes in the second section (and some that are missing in the first, including pictures)

-More consistent formatting for all of it

Thanks for your effort thus far and keep up the good work!

In the first recipe, what are the 6 white blocks you have surrounding the copper ingots? The only recipe I can find for the copper wires you describe does not match the screenshots you have posted.

I have not checked the accuracy of the other recipes.

If I may make a few suggestions:

-More details for each item (details/tips from the documentation and tested results)

-Full recipes in the second section (and some that are missing in the first, including pictures)

-More consistent formatting for all of it

Thanks for your effort thus far and keep up the good work!

That's wool, the copper wire you've found uses leather, that's the electrical expansion copper wire. This copper wire is the one from basic components.

I'll try to make it better when I've finally added all the mods. For now I'm only making small changes because I want to get it done first. Thanks for the suggestions though!

That's wool, the copper wire you've found uses leather, that's the electrical expansion copper wire. This copper wire is the one from basic components.

I'll try to make it better when I've finally added all the mods. For now I'm only making small changes because I want to get it done first. Thanks for the suggestions though!

i tried the first recipe. it doesnt work, however making the leather one, which is a major pain if you cant find cows like me, and then converting it works like a charm

This is the same problem I ran into, and thanks for clearing this up both of you. Perhaps the electrical expansion mod instead of adding another recipe, replaces the original one in basic components? I was hoping for the former ;(

The steel recipe doesnt work for me.

Make sure to use charcoal, and not normal coal!

This is the same problem I ran into, and thanks for clearing this up both of you. Perhaps the electrical expansion mod instead of adding another recipe, replaces the original one in basic components? I was hoping for the former ;(

i tried the first recipe. it doesnt work, however making the leather one, which is a major pain if you cant find cows like me, and then converting it works like a charm

Also copper wire recipe doesn't work for me it says i need like one insulated copper wire which is made from leather

Changed it, there should be an edit under the picture that says you should use leather.

• 3 weeks later...

How exactly can I get an iron plate? I tried the railcraft recipe I found, which is 4 iron, but that didn't work.. I didn't see anything in config files.

Are you sure you don't mean steel plate?

• 4 months later...